• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

how do you cook?

just had a thought guys i used a piece of galvanised steel as a hot plate to fry my eggs and bacon on at my first summer bushy event a few years ago ...and im still here

Don't think Galv would be a problem. Stainless would be better but alot harder to work with.
Well the offers there mate just let me know if you want the sheets and I will cut you some. ;)

I will do Gazo but at the bottom of my sister's garden is a yard where they empty skip lorries. I can pop in there on a Sunday and have a scout around, you never know there might even be some stainless around from an old kitchen.

i have a cunning plan.........i have an old oven at work. and i'm gonna cut the insides into 3 peices. 2 sides and a back. no top or bottom. weld firedoor hinges on internals, 1 folds this way. t'other folds outer way. so it will be flat when folded.
place said item round fire. bring in sides enough to accommadate the grill tray that comes with it, and then ,aswell as wind breaker, i'll be able to adjust height of grilltray accordingly

if you can understand that:rolleyes:

i have a cunning plan.........i have an old oven at work. and i'm gonna cut the insides into 3 peices. 2 sides and a back. no top or bottom. weld firedoor hinges on internals, 1 folds this way. t'other folds outer way. so it will be flat when folded.
place said item round fire. bring in sides enough to accommadate the grill tray that comes with it, and then ,aswell as wind breaker, i'll be able to adjust height of grilltray accordingly

if you can understand that:rolleyes:

sounds like a good idea! iv'e got a couple of sets of fire rated ball bearing hinges (3 in each set) from when i had a load of fire doors to hang. i dont think i'll need them any time soon, so your more than welcome to them if you want them mate

Well, yesterday at the classic bike show I found a couple of stalls selling metal off cuts so I bought a load of stainless steel. Its quite thick, probably getting on for about 2mm and I have got more than enough to make one stove. I will be making a cardboard prototype soon and might see if I can improve or enlarge the design I've got, then comes the hard bit, working the steel. Luckily I bought some nice new cobalt hacksaw blades as well.

This is probably going to take me a while but I'll do some pictures of the process and let you all know how it goes:)

I've done a couple of cardboard prototypes and have made a discovery or two.
When I print the plans off using Firefox it makes a fairly large stove but when I print them off using Google Chrome it makes them that little bit smaller:confused:
I've got 5 sheets of stainless of the same size and using the Firefox templates I can get one stove easily but can't quite get two, but using the Chrome templates I can get two stoves with a little left over. I made prototypes and checked out the website of a bloke who males these and sells them Fireboxes for Paddlers, Hikers and Bushcrafters . His Nomad stove is about 100mmx125mm cooking area and my Chrome one comes out a little under that but the Firefox one comes out a bit bigger.
In the end I have taken the smaller left and right hand sides, adapted the bigger base plate and ended up with what looks like a happy compromise and I can still get two stoves.
Here's some pictures of the Firefox and Google Chrome ones side by side:

Attachments

• Stove Prototype 001.jpg
    Stove Prototype 001.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Stove Prototype 002.jpg
    Stove Prototype 002.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Stove Prototype 003.jpg
    Stove Prototype 003.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Stove Prototype 004.jpg
    Stove Prototype 004.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Stove Prototype 005.jpg
    Stove Prototype 005.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Stove Prototype 006.jpg
    Stove Prototype 006.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Stove Prototype 007.jpg
    Stove Prototype 007.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 132
Smaller one looks like it will do the job just fine, make 2 sell one for a few quid to get some of your money back. :)

Smaller one looks like it will do the job just fine, make 2 sell one for a few quid to get some of your money back. :)

That's exactly what I was thinking, I ended up paying twenty quid for the steel:eek:, mind you it is good quality stuff and a lot thicker than the ones you can buy.
Either that or make one huge one but I don't reckon it would burn as well.

Once made I'll fiddle around with the design until it's right then I'll possibly flog one on unless I feel I need it.

Back