• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

how do you cook?

Depends what i'm doing. I'll use my cast iron stuff at every opportunity. But, if weight is an issue then i normally use a swedish army trangia. Excellent bits of kit.
I used to have a really big iron wok that I used to take camping. Really good for cooking on a fire. My daughter dropped it on the woods and the main handle broke so you cant get it on and off a fire now without burning yourself. Keep meaning to get another one though.

I've always wanted to get hold of a proper old cast iron dutch oven, very versatile but also very heavy. No good for back packing but I bet you can do some lovely meals in one.
Dan and I have often talked about these. It's another thing on my list. I saw somewhere (probably youtube) about a dutch oven club meet, where people get together and share recopies and cook, they do all sorts of meals and desserts. Would be a great thing to have.

I use these quite frequently,

Attachments

• Trangia.jpg
    Trangia.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Hexi 1.jpg
    Hexi 1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 158
I always take a kelly kettle whilst they can be a bit bulky they are great for those quick cuppa's and a sweet bannock is excellent on 1 for a quick snack stop.

i like the look of your sauce pan darren. whats make is it mate?

Hello elliott, its a swedish army mess kit lid, made a handle mod to use it easier.

Cheers

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 225
I have experimented with all sorts of cooking systems over the years. I like to travel light, so I have tried Trangias, Jet Boils, multi fuel stoves, etc. I have finally settled on the pan set from a Trangia and a small MSR gas burner. The Trangia could get messy and you have to carry the liquid fuel and I settled on gas for the high speed to boil water and the fact it doesn't blacken your cooking tins. If you remove the kettle and burner from a Trangia set, your gas, burner and fire starter/matches all fit neatly inside and it weighs very little.

I got a standard Trangia 27-2 when I first got into camping, which is grand if you base yourself at the same site for a couple of days, but a little irksome if you move from site to site as it takes up a fair bit of space in your backpack, I've never needed to use all of the pans and the novelty of the kettle wears of when you start to think 'If I didn't have the kettle, I could put loads of stuff in there.'

This was nagging at me for a while, so for Xmas I got myself an aluminium version of the Swedish military trangia pictured above. It is about the same size as the 27, but differently shaped and I find it more packable. It is a bit heavier than the 27, but not so heavy you'd notice. The big plus for me is you can pack in loads of stuff, along with burner and the fuel bottle (which is well handy) in the billy.

I'm having lots of fun playing with my new toy. But like a kid locked in a sweet shop, I'm keen to try everything on offer.

I picked up a job lot of Hexi cookers & solid fuel tabs, in a closing down sale last year. They are okay for a brew, but as they only have 'one speed' not ideal for slow cooking. Also I find the solid fuel tabs are a bugger to light without a turbo jet and I've put mine down somewhere and can not find it. The fuel tabs laugh off my attempts to ignite them with my fire steel and will only accept the flame from matches when my finger tips are well a truly burnt. All in all, a bit too much like hard work for my liking.

My now ex girlfriend (who may well have been the last of the big spenders) got me a pattern 58 water bottle & mug for Xmas. As I no longer have to fund her social life, I've got a few extra bob to spend on bits of kit and I've been looking at the Crusader Cooking Unit, which can nest on top of the water bottle. As I'm already carrying the water bottle around with me on my wanderings, I reckon adding this cooking unit might be a good idea. Also it works with solid fuel or gel and I've never cooked with gel, which could be entertaining. So I've ordered one.

Whether it will suit my needs better than the SM Trangia or prove handy if I want food and a brew on the go at the same time, only time will tell.

I've also experimented with a pair of cheapo Tesco mess tins, my Trangia burner and a home made stand / windshield (fashioned from two of my many Hexi cookers). Not bad on the cooking front, not so good on the carrying front (they rattle together annoyingly, thing you pack in them fall out). So I'm also toying with the idea of trying this set up with one of the 'fancier' mess tins (Crusader, US Army) or a tin and perhaps the Honey Stove.

I'm cooker mad at the moment

God help me if I ever start obsessing about knives!

I've recently been looking into the Honey stove and things like that and I have come to the conclusion that nearly forty quid for a few bits of metal is a complete rip off. If you trawl the net you can find plans to make your own, all you need are a few basic tools.
Here's one to get you started: http://zenstoves.net/Templates/NimblewillNomadStove.pdf

I am determined to prove that bushcraft doesn't need to cost the earth!!!!

I've recently been looking into the Honey stove and things like that and I have come to the conclusion that nearly forty quid for a few bits of metal is a complete rip off. If you trawl the net you can find plans to make your own, all you need are a few basic tools.
Here's one to get you started: http://zenstoves.net/Templates/NimblewillNomadStove.pdf

nice link ian cheers. i love a good fettle, always rewarding using it afterwards. might have a bash at that when i get the time

I have to admit, the reason I'm still only thinking about the honey stove and have not yet took the plunge and bought one is the price. I agree forty quid is a lot money for several small sheets of stainless steel. And having already made my own stand / windshield (I will upload a picture of when I locate my camera) which works well with the Trangia burner and solid fuel tablets (even though I hate using the little buggers) When the Crusader Cooker turns up, I'll see how if copes with fuel gel and continue experimenting, until I've bodged something together that suits all three options.

Like I said above, I got a job lot of Hexi cookers in a closing down sale (20 for tenner + 200 solid fuel tabs - BARGAIN) So thanks for the link Ian, it has given me a few ideas on how to proceed with version III of my home made cooker.

I'm not writing off my interest in the Honey stove completely, a lot of thought seems to have gone into it, it looks well made, it provides the option to cook with wood, which my home made jobbie does not and although forty quid is a hefty amount to shell out for worked sheets of metal, in my 'youth' I'd often spend more on a night out and only have a hang over to show for my investment in the morning, so I can just about justify the outlay. But I think I'll carry on with the home made for now and see who that goes.

Well, I've got tin snips and a dremel so when I find some metal I'm gonna give it a go.
I know it wont be as sophisticated and flash as the honey stove but as long as it works who cares?

I have to keep reminding myself, this is about bushcraft and survival, not how much I can spend on kit:rolleyes:

Pity you was not closer Ian, I have some big galvanised sheets here. how big are the bits you want and how many ?

Probably no more than A4 sized I reckon. I'll check out a link I found the other night and let you know.

I will cut some sheets for you will do them about 10x10 for you and find some way of getting them to you.
Geoff might be able to pass them on at Barrys meet or if cheap enough I could post.
Leave it with me I will get the sheets cut to start with, should not take long as I have a nice set of air shears :)

Not sure the thickness of the sheets I have they could be 0.8mm or 1mm thick but very sturdy in bits that size. Will be alot stronger than the crap they sell in the shops.

Just had a look at that link Ian and it says "Please note that galvanized steel is never recommended since it releases poisonous
heavy metals into the air when heated".

Just had a look at that link Ian and it says "Please note that galvanized steel is never recommended since it releases poisonous
heavy metals into the air when heated".
Yeah, I saw that but on the page where I got that link from there was a mention of a company who sell galvanised wood stoves:confused:

I'm gonna have a look around down here as I know a few places where I might be able to get some metal. Obviously stainless would be excellent but I cant see galvanised being a problem as it is done with zinc and zinc is non toxic:confused:

Yeah, I saw that but on the page where I got that link from there was a mention of a company who sell galvanised wood stoves:confused:

I'm gonna have a look around down here as I know a few places where I might be able to get some metal. Obviously stainless would be excellent but I cant see galvanised being a problem as it is done with zinc and zinc is non toxic:confused:

i think its ok if you pree burn it ...as in put it in a fire to get red hot before you use it around food or your stove (but dont quote me on it i may be wrong)

Back