• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hypothetical Pheasant advice...

I was led to believe it was legal to use snares in britain as long as they are free running?

on your own land or on land you control maybe, you need to check the snares regularly just in case you trap the local moggie!!!

Just spotted this old post.
Pheasants and other game birds belong to the person who owns the land that they are on.
My neighbours breed pheasants for shooting. Whilst they are in pens on their land they are the legal owners.
As soon as they release them and they become airborne they are classified as wild and belong to no one.
If one is shot and lands on some other persons land it becomes that land owners property.
There are some variations to this law such as in my case where the neighbours have shooting rights on my land. This means they can shoot on my land and if a bird lands on my land they have claim on the bird.
To take any permissible animals from the wild you need the land owners permission.

Road kill is a funny thing also. As I believe you have to have a special permit to use them. This info came from a radio station a couple of years ago. Don’t take this as gospel lol.

However if someone is driving and strikes a dear then he could be prosecuted for poaching if he stops and picks it up. But you can pick it up. Again don’t take as gospel as this mite be an old wife’s tail :thumbsup:

Road kill is a funny thing also. As I believe you have to have a special permit to use them. This info came from a radio station a couple of years ago. Don’t take this as gospel lol.

However if someone is driving and strikes a dear then he could be prosecuted for poaching if he stops and picks it up. But you can pick it up. Again don’t take as gospel as this mite be an old wife’s tail :thumbsup:
Not just deer Mark but anything that can be classed as game. But it's not illegal for a vehicle behind you

Correct, if you're following the car that hits an animal and kills it you can legally pick it up and make use of it.

Besides that, you really don't want to "accidentally" hit a deer....they can write off a modern car.

Have done :thumbsdown: luckily am not a fast drive ystranc :sneaky::D struck it on the back leg. What a thump lol. Also hit... well I say I hit it.....more like the pheasant hit me lol straight into the front window. I :poo: myself lol.

I use to carry a skinning knife in my boot along with a tarp for just that reason:D but my better half put a stop to that as soon as she found out why it was in the boot :rolleyes: something my father done :thumbsup: Many a time he brought pheasant home and many a time my mother told him to get rid :rofl:

Personally if I hit something useful I would pick it up. If anyone questioned me I would just say I was taking it to a vet.
I very much doubt anyone getting prosecuted for picking up road kill. If nothing else its a public service keeping the road clear of obstructions.
C

Personally if I hit something useful I would pick it up. If anyone questioned me I would just say I was taking it to a vet.
I very much doubt anyone getting prosecuted for picking up road kill. If nothing else its a public service keeping the road clear of obstructions.
C

I would if I could :rofl:

In the past I've been berated and threatened with the police for humanely dispatching a pigeon that had been hit by another vehicle and left in the road to die a lingering death. Assume that most people will misread the situation.

Last edited:
In the past I've been berated and threatened with the police for humanely dispatching a pigeon that had been hit by another vehicle and left in the roadto die a lingering death. Assume that most people will misread the situation.

An act of kindness ystranc :thumbsup: shame some people don’t see it this way.

Basically, some people would prefer to allow an animal to suffer rather then deal with a situation themselves. If I see a wild creature that has been badly injured (by a car or an unsporting shot) I will always humanely dispatch it rather then allow it to die in pain. If it's also edible then preventing its death being a waste is just an added bonus.
This is how my Grandfather behaved during my youth, I suppose I've held these attitudes all my life because I grew up with them.

Unfortunately it now seems people seek out things to be offended by. If in doubt the default setting is complain.
The worse ones are complainers, but not prepared to do anything about it.
Prime example was I stumbled across some people who had found a wounded pigeon.
They asked my advice and I said they should put it out of its misery. But they could not bring themselves to do it so I said I would do it for them.
But they did not want to see it killed. So I told them it that case they needed to take it somewhere and get it some help. This is the point where you find out their concern only runs to some else doing something about it and not them.
C

Unfortunately it now seems people seek out things to be offended by. If in doubt the default setting is complain.
The worse ones are complainers, but not prepared to do anything about it.
Prime example was I stumbled across some people who had found a wounded pigeon.
They asked my advice and I said they should put it out of its misery. But they could not bring themselves to do it so I said I would do it for them.
But they did not want to see it killed. So I told them it that case they needed to take it somewhere and get it some help. This is the point where you find out their concern only runs to some else doing something about it and not them.
C
People like this don't understand the concept of "Mercy", they turn from doing the right thing because it conflicts with their personal feelings. "Mercy" is doing right by the animal in it's final moments, easing it's passing as best you can. Leaving an animal to suffer for ones own selfish feelings is cowardice in my book. Even a Rat deserves respect for if we lack this what does it say about us as a species?

Quite thought provoking "Boogie man"
I think what can be said about our species is that we need to gain more credibility against other species.
As I often point out to people. We are the only ones that kill for fun, we actively seek conflict with others of our own type, wipe out other species to the point of extinction, and artificially destroy our own habitats and planet.
And Yet we judge other species as vermin and pests.
That rat just trying to live its life may already carry more respect than us.
C

Back