• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

LEATHER SHEATH

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
So here I go diving in the deep end again, building a knife sheath for a mark hill knife
58CC4F13-9E9D-4CCE-AD5B-EA8AEA15D5E6.jpeg

It did come with a sheath, however it got damaged by the last owner 🙄 (no names mentioned🤭)

this may take me a wile to build as I’m throwing it in the mix with our duties 🤷🏼‍♂️ She who will remain nameless has a LIST !! 😟 also I’m trying to make a video of the build so it’s all thumbs and elbows 😁

here are a few pics of the progress so far
1A59D967-933D-4EA6-9475-89EA445459CE.jpeg
8C43A8D2-5C54-4CFA-A48B-370811E2F720.jpeg
8C8217BB-9EDB-45A8-94E3-C35FBBD30984.jpeg
008C0A8B-F9DB-45AD-AB3D-F6AA0591B522.jpeg
9D065CFA-0CBC-47F1-BAF8-A50AE6440C0F.jpeg
FCE7EDE8-1A86-4B8A-80B0-D5CDB3C3CBD4.jpeg
3D6B179B-8AA0-49F1-AC15-C6E5CF65723C.jpeg
C10F87EC-D1E6-47FB-A834-61C105687951.jpeg

No mate.....looking good.....like the shape :D
Might be an idea to make... and stitch in.... a ferro rod holder?

Was thinking about that mate, just a smallish one tho ..around 8mm in diameter about 100mm long

I’ve been looking for stabilised wood to match up with the scales on the knife for the ferro rod, see how I fair with that, could change my mind lol

Thinking about it Mark :thumbsdown: you would be better to maybe use a much thicker leather and change the style of sheath:eek:
That wrap around style is begging for the knife to cut the leather......again :whistle::rofl:
Think I would go for the style in which I made yours.......save time.....money and effort in the end?
Use a sectional/stacked style.......... with a couple of welts that the blade will go into and be guided without too much play :thumbsup:

Just a thought mate.

Wasn’t expecting that mate , spanner right in my works 😂 you do make a good point 🤔

it would need to be thick as the handle is more rounded than the A1 knife....

You could always wet form the neck of the sheath to take the handle Mark.
Wrap the knife in cling film before hand :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You could still get away with the wrap around.....but put in place a good thick welt.....and use thicker leather. :thumbsup:

@1 shot willie it’s got me thinking mate 😁

do you think if I glued another lair onto the inside of the sheath before gluing the welt on, that should thicken things up, other than that I would have to order some 4mm or 5mm leather as 3mm is what I have.

as you say there’s a strong possibility of the knife going through the sheath again 😟

Just an add on Mark.....notice how the guy is using the pads of his thumbs only......helps to stop getting marks and pits in the wert leather from your nails :thumbsup:

Just an add on Mark.....notice how the guy is using the pads of his thumbs only......helps to stop getting marks and pits in the wert leather from your nails :thumbsup:

a mistake I made recently with gav’s ferro rod holder, had to re-do it 👎 thumb nail put a line right down it we forming the shape...

Been there and done it myself Mark :rolleyes: .....another tip is to rub down your cutting matt with some fine wet and dry.....often......as that will mark projects as well:thumbsup:

I may have had a little brain fart 🤭 and decided to go at the sheath, as it’s for me I wasn’t to worried about my first attempt at carving a boarder into the leather freehand, tried to go for a Viking band of sorts. Then my second attempt at a basket weave pattern with I believe it’s called a boarder stamp to finish the lines off 🤷🏼‍♂️

here yous go 👍🏻 it’s not the best, it’s practice lol
18AA7A52-D8B5-45A3-85FF-53368566987A.jpeg

Back