• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Legal knife requirement

lovelife82

Extremely Talkative
Fixed blades are basily a no no as far as the law is concerned. Should be okay with an Opinel though if I have my facts right:

Fixed blades are basily a no no as far as the law is concerned. Should be okay with an Opinel though if I have my facts right:

Yes an opinel no6 should be fine

As with everything in this world everything needs to be taken in context.... If your on a camping site doinging camping things a fixed blade knife is not to much of an issue.. But if you walk into tescos with it on your hip you may have a problem

I've carried all types of fixed blades when I've been out wild camping / shooting... Never had an issue and I've had dealings with plenty of Mr plod and they have never made it an issue for me

Hi,

Can I ask what the legal knife requirements in the UK if you are going camping? For example, would this one be ok? Or any recommendations? Want to sped around £15

Thanks

Amanda :)

That will do perfect Amanda :thumbsup:

Don’t worry about it to much. The uk knife law has a few grey areas that allow people like us to slip through and continue with our passions:thumbsup: just be sensible (am sure you will). Unfortunately no one but the police man standing in front of you at the time can say what will happen. Taking a knife with you will always have an element of risk...at the end of the day it’s a personal choice and you should always base that choice on the law :thumbsup:

As with everything in this world everything needs to be taken in context.... If your on a camping site doinging camping things a fixed blade knife is not to much of an issue.. But if you walk into tescos with it on your hip you may have a problem

This is how I see it. If you can 'justify' having it then you're fine. Having a suitable knife (like a Mora) for camping and either have it stuck at the bottom of a rucksack or in use then you should be fine. If you want to use some mahoosive zombie knife with bells and whistles to whittle a stick and claim its for bushcraft you'd get pulled up. Same with wearing a knife openly, if you openly display it on your belt etc without an immediate use then you're inviting trouble. Its all a bit woolly unfortunately, you're still at the whim of the individual officer in the unlikely event that you get questioned. Just my advice but in the unlikely event it comes to pass, I would refuse a caution, it would be unlikely to go trial. Here's the official guidance.

Selling, buying and carrying knives

Ref the Opinels, they can be locked into place so while they're great knives (I keep one in my cook setup) you would have to 'justify' it the same as the Mora. Your standard Swiss Army Knife is legal and most have other uses. My 'justification' for the Opinel is when cutting up things like potatoes or steak you don't want a knife that will possible snap back and cut you. That might be enough in most instances but no guarantee. I'm a middle aged man with no convictions and only carry anything bigger than a SAK when I'm walking/camping or for working and always discretely. If you don't attract attention then you should be fine.

In Germany we are allowed to carry fix blade knifes up to 12 cm at the belt.

But a lot of experienced german hikers use the Opinel Carbone No7 which is UK legal if you take a bit of the tip away and the lockng ring too.
If you lock the knife in closed position and open it with pliers the ring will fly away, and you can press it back without tools.

Even a beginner can sharpen it easily and it can become sharp as a razor.

(Don't take size No 6! That's made for children!)

I always recommend the "Victorinox Compact" as optimal trekking and traveling knife.
If two persons go hiking the stronger one should take the "Victorinox Compact, the weaker one the Opinel No 7.

Do you plan camping out of the car, using boat or bike or do you want to go hiking with your camping equipment?

Thanks for all your helpful replies :) now to decide whether to get the Opinel No7 or the Mora Companion 860 🤔
The mora, every time...no need to spend more on a posh looking bushcrafter knife. The law regarding knives is a bit of a lash up and occasionally knives do get confiscated, even if you feel that you have good reason to be in possession of one.

An example of legal every day carry type knives (EDC)
image.jpeg

Back