• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Lightweight ?

Bopdude

Extremely Addicted
Hi all.

So, I'm in the transition state of getting a lightweight but not ultra lightweight kit together to shed a few pounds, well, more than a few, so the recent experiments with dehydrated food is going ok, my ULA Ohm rucksack is on it's way and that's just a start, for me. So, the question is, what do you consider a light pack to carry and over what distance ?

Not looking at any superman bravado, we've all carried weights over what we needed, just getting a feel of a balance, how far do you walk in to your spots ? what weight and maybe what do you take, without going into grams etc

And if you were to trim, out of the choices, where and what would it be ?

Ok, in answer to my own question /s

Started on food and pack, in warmer months I take an old envelope sleeping bag that weighs next to nothing, bivvy (always) and thermals, British weather is unpredictable at best. Next stages are cook kit, upgrade to Ti maybe from coated Ali ? Oh, and I have a Speedster meths stove on its way to try. Need to get out walking further so all this is an effort to lighten the load.

as im sure you will understand the guys on here take all sorts of kit for "just in case" ....im a prime candidate ;)

i use a britsh army 100 ltr bergen (with side pouch,s ) ...and to be truth full its rammed full off just in case kit where to be brutaly truthfull i could defo loose half the contents ......

for an overnighter I rarely carry more than about 15 pounds Bop

Well at the moment am trying to carry as little as I can but for me it's water that weighs the most am not big on purafacasihon at the moment... a will change that eventually...

A would like to take nothing but what I can fit in my pockets. Simple med kit..some fishing line knife or axe and rough it....my normal train of thought is jump right in but on this I am gaining knowledge and experience first (trying to be sensible...new thing lol)

A like your idea of dehydrated food a will look into that when am a little further down the line. Like yourself a plan on having a bag for every occasion....long stays out and short stays...a grab and go bag for a quick night and so on. A lack experience and a little knowledge at the moment but I shall rectify that lol

It will be good to find out how you get on m8 :thumbsup:

as im sure you will understand the guys on here take all sorts of kit for "just in case" ....im a prime candidate ;)

i use a britsh army 100 ltr bergen (with side pouch,s ) ...and to be truth full its rammed full off just in case kit where to be brutaly truthfull i could defo loose half the contents ......

Yep, I am guilty of the in case point, but it's got to stop, looking at getting to more remote places this year so it has to.
for an overnighter I rarely carry more than about 15 pounds Bop

That's about where I would like to be, tops.

Well at the moment am trying to carry as little as I can but for me it's water that weighs the most am not big on purafacasihon at the moment... a will change that eventually...

A would like to take nothing but what I can fit in my pockets. Simple med kit..some fishing line knife or axe and rough it....my normal train of thought is jump right in but on this I am gaining knowledge and experience first (trying to be sensible...new thing lol)

A like your idea of dehydrated food a will look into that when am a little further down the line. Like yourself a plan on having a bag for every occasion....long stays out and short stays...a grab and go bag for a quick night and so on. A lack experience and a little knowledge at the moment but I shall rectify that lol

It will be good to find out how you get on m8 :thumbsup:

That's a completely different avenue, dependant more on bushcraft side of things, which we should be doing, a lot of the time though it isn't practical for a few reasons, chopping down of limbs for shelters etc, fires in certain areas, trapping, fishing, it's a great thought though :)

Yep, I am guilty of the in case point, but it's got to stop, looking at getting to more remote places this year so it has to.

That's about where I would like to be, tops.

That's a completely different avenue, dependant more on bushcraft side of things, which we should be doing, a lot of the time though it isn't practical for a few reasons, chopping down of limbs for shelters etc, fires in certain areas, trapping, fishing, it's a great thought though :)
My tarp onlu weighs about a pound Bop, a bit of cordage and a trangia plus dry food and a couple of litres of water all go in the pack with a blanket and a cook pot, the rest can go in your pockets

Dont do much hiking these days :whistle:

If I cant roll the kit out of the back of the Disco.....I aint going:rofl:

A couple of my options for shedding a few pounds, ditching my 120l Bergen, it really is / was a case of filling it up coz I could, halving my cook system,for now, until I get a new one :D sleeping system, shelter etc, still more than comfortably warm for 2 seasons, will adjust to suit though.

Going Ultra light often involves a bit of expense...because of the materials and quality of the lightwieght kit that is produced and available that is purpose made for the job you are asking it to do.

In an ideal world (ignore the costs for now) what would your choices be for the items below?
Add or delete what you would or not need:thumbsup:

Would you opt for a tarp or tent Bop?
Pegs/pole?
Sleeping bag?
Bivi bag?
Sleeping Matt?
Cook set/mug/spork?
Fuel type and carry?
Water bottle/purification options?
Food snacks and beverage you have covered:thumbsup:
Head torch?
Walking sticks?
First aid kit?
Back pack?
Knife?
Foot powder/spare socks/clothes?
Toiletries?

See you in a couple of hours mate :rofl::thumbsup:

Going Ultra light often involves a bit of expense...because of the materials and quality of the lightwieght kit that is produced and available that is purpose made for the job you are asking it to do.

In an ideal world (ignore the costs for now) what would your choices be for the items below?

Pegs/pole?
Sleeping bag?
Bivi bag?
Sleeping Matt?
Cook set/mug/spork?
Fuel type and carry?
Head torch?
Walking sticks?
First aid kit?
Back pack?
Knife?
Toiletries?

Good post, in order.

At the moment DD 3x3 superlite tarp, versatile bit of kit
pegs and walking poles
lightweight 1 / 2 season envelope bag
Army gortex but looking t snugpack for pack and weight
either my karrimor xlite or exped 9
ali pot with lid, folding cup and folding kfs set, soon to be a Ti spork ( long )
Either wood, Vargo Ti hex stove or meths speedster stove
depending on the trip, my lifestraw, tablets or soon to be sawer mini
small coleman headtorch
walking sticks as above
small first aid kit, cuts and burns, hayfever tablets
ULA Ohm
Either my Hultasfor or my Mora 2000
Dry bag with socks, thermals, and hat
Toiletry bag with cleaning kit, hand sanitiser, wet wipes, toothpaste and brush.

Pegs/pole?
Sleeping bag?
Bivi bag?
Sleeping Matt?
Cook set/mug/spork?
Fuel type and carry?
Head torch?
Walking sticks?
First aid kit?
Back pack?
Knife?
Toiletries?

Most of the above Bill but with the inclusion of my mobile phone and a few metres of paracord

I've also been on the lightening the load journey :) But my train of thought is not so much been on ultralight weight kit, but the kit i've bought and take is light enough to be able to comfortably carry and use, say on a decent hike in, in any weather conditions.
I also like to take a few luxury items, which add weight, but I'm happy to take, cos they make the trip more enjoyable ;)

I've also been on the lightening the load journey :) But my train of thought is not so much been on ultralight weight kit, but the kit i've bought and take is light enough to be able to comfortably carry and use, say on a decent hike in, in any weather conditions.
I also like to take a few luxury items, which add weight, but I'm happy to take, cos they make the trip more enjoyable ;)
I think when planning that distance and terrain have to be taken into consideration

Yep, kit and kit weights will change depending on time of year, weather expected and where to sleep, all good stuff, the next 3 batches are going in the dehydrator today, stewing beef in gravy, chilli and Mediterranean rice with pork and chorizo :D

Back