• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Lockdown lift

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
With the world as it is today, I have adopted a more positive attitude to my current location, very lucky to be here and not using to its maximum potential so I am going to "live" in garden as much as possible making note of what creature comforts I really miss (WIFI will be one!!) . So all set up for a good week odd using only what I have in my 2 bags. Lots of cooking over the next X amount of days.

Pan roasted duck breast with honey glazed root vegetables and wild foraged greens
campfire fish n chips (sort of)
spit-roast coquelet
Breakfast bread (experiment bound to go wrong!!)
Rabbit stew
A few kebabs
And a very nice Chicken and chorizo with chick pea, summer stew.

the bubbly is not too bad for just over a quid a bottle!
P1450073.JPG
P1450079.JPG
P1450081.JPG
P1450082.JPG
P1450083.JPG

Med, you're a lucky man. My postage stamp of a garden lets me have a wee fire and set the lavvu up (although the cat became far too fond of playing with it to leave it up when I'm not kipping in it). I'm 'well jel' of your set up, enjoy and look forward to any updates. 👍

First update is so not have a bottle of bubbly and a couple of beers and leave all my kitchen stuff out over night go get wet!!!

weather.PNG

and this is going to make life interesting, but you can not live life when it is all hunky dory so my life outside does continue. be a good test for my solar charger even fully overcast i still get just over half an AMP

View attachment 21269

would something like this work??? has anybody tried?

Probably......but not very efficiently.

Have you thought about one of the Gelert or Yellow Stone Portable folding BBQs?
They are good to cook a basic meal on and do provide a very nice fire pit to sit by and enjoy your tipple.
Some come with a steel case that doubles up as a ground protector.
Use it under that tarp admin area by your tent with ease if the weather takes a turn.

Added bonus.....if the wind changes and causes problems.....you can pick the BBQ up with care.....and move it.

There are a few of us that use them.......they work very well.

Just a thought for you.

Last edited:
With the world as it is today, I have adopted a more positive attitude to my current location, very lucky to be here and not using to its maximum potential so I am going to "live" in garden as much as possible making note of what creature comforts I really miss (WIFI will be one!!) . So all set up for a good week odd using only what I have in my 2 bags. Lots of cooking over the next X amount of days.

Pan roasted duck breast with honey glazed root vegetables and wild foraged greens
campfire fish n chips (sort of)
spit-roast coquelet
Breakfast bread (experiment bound to go wrong!!)
Rabbit stew
A few kebabs
And a very nice Chicken and chorizo with chick pea, summer stew.

the bubbly is not too bad for just over a quid a bottle!View attachment 21252View attachment 21253View attachment 21254View attachment 21255View attachment 21256
What a lovely space!!!

P1450090.JPG
P1450092.JPG

just trying things out for now, but alas have run out off clips a few in my bag is not breaking the rules and i have a mutiltole with a screwdriver on it might as well have some screws

Being honest.

I could not happily prepare and cook a meal in a mud hole..... slopping around.....although had no choice years ago........ and had to do just that in some situations.....but not by choice.
With the pots and pans you are using......might be a good idea to store them in a tin or plastic box..... with a lid.....stop the rats pissing and walking all over them......especially if they are being used and left outside all the time.

Have seen people go down heavily with stomach upsets and vomiting through poor camp hygiene......it will ruin your day.

The frame work and cover you are building is to keep the rain off of your fire and any food that is cooking.......also to dry wood?

I can see the attraction of that and the fun factor of building it.......but even in the lightest of showers you will have water from the roof dripping down your neck or soaking your jacket.

Would you be better making a larger shelter of the same ilk?..........big enough to sit under comfortably...... might be worth a thought before you go much further with the build.....and lift the height of your fire pit as it is going to be permanent..... so you can cook sitting comfortably on a chair or log without constantly bending...... or kneeling in wet mud.

1 shots comment about rats and pans..........

When I first left home to begin my agricultural career (the first of one or two careers!), I shared a run down static caravan with another stockman.
All my clothes had to be in carrier bags, as when you put them on (whilst in bed, so bloody cold!), mice would otherwise fall out ........at night time, you could here the mice running over the pans in the kitchen......we used to try and shoot them with an air pistol, but the caravan ended up somewhat perforated!!
Later, on another farm, I had a tiny flat in a converted barn, I remember sitting in the equally tiny bath one night, as 2 rats casually walked and sat by the taps...eyeing me up as if to say, "right, who is going to make the first move?":eek:

Happy days...........

Being honest.

I could not happily prepare and cook a meal in a mud hole..... slopping around.....although had no choice years ago........ and had to do just that in some situations.....but not by choice.
With the pots and pans you are using......might be a good idea to store them in a tin or plastic box..... with a lid.....stop the rats pissing and walking all over them......especially if they are being used and left outside all the time.

Have seen people go down heavily with stomach upsets and vomiting through poor camp hygiene......it will ruin your day.

The frame work and cover you are building is to keep the rain off of your fire and any food that is cooking.......also to dry wood?

I can see the attraction of that and the fun factor of building it.......but even in the lightest of showers you will have water from the roof dripping down your neck or soaking your jacket.

Would you be better making a larger shelter of the same ilk?..........big enough to sit under comfortably...... might be worth a thought before you go much further with the build.....and lift the height of your fire pit as it is going to be permanent..... so you can cook sitting comfortably on a chair or log without constantly bending...... or kneeling in wet mud.

I normally do not leave things out do have a plastic lined bag that fits everything in perfectly. As for the cover just for the fire and wood drying shelf, I did consider building a bigger shelter but I am very much restricted to the amount of raw materials , not my house/garden so can not just cut anything that i want down if it does work at least i will know in theory if i had more materials at hand i could do something bigger. I do have plenty of stone around so i could make a better attempt at the floor and possibly line the firepit with something.

Bag is used for cycle lunch box quire handy

Attachments

• P1450094.JPG
    P1450094.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 108
Aghhh.....got your drift now Med.......did not know your situation there :thumbsup:

Hope the project works out for you........ and you have fun completing it and using it.

Could you not convince the owner that they could do with a nice new log/tool store......if they source the materials.....you would happily build it for them :whistle::D

Hopefully have found enough materials to give my fire rain cover a go, and ALOT of fire wood to process sticking it under the old tarp and cheating a bit using a metal base as i just don't have the trees to cut down
P1020007.JPG

Hopefully have found enough materials to give my fire rain cover a go, and ALOT of fire wood to process sticking it under the old tarp and cheating a bit using a metal base as i just don't have the trees to cut downView attachment 21342
You've got the makings of some nice walking sticks there Meds

Back