• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Need help, need someone with lathe

Gazo

Slightly Obsessed
Morning all I am looking at making my own 2" x 72" belt grinder for knife making (yes I got the bug :) )
I have a nice 1hp motor

20160912_131233.jpg

But I cant seem to find a suitable drive wheel for it.
To get it upto speed for knife grinding I need a wheel approx 8" diameter by 2" wide.
So wondering if any of you guys could make me one, I will cover all costs etc.
Thanks Guys

This any good @Gazo or too small..................I was going by the 2"x 72"

2 x 72 Belt Grinder Drive Wheel - Buyitmarketplace.co.uk

2 x 72 is the size of the grinding belt.
my motor only does 1430fpm but by fitting a 8" drive wheel it should if my calculations are right speed the belt upto around 2900fpm which is more like the speed
I need for grinding.
The 4" one would be too slow.
I might have to go V pulley and not have the motor direct drive if I cant find the right wheel.

Other than that find a faster motor and then i can fit a smaller drive wheel, but seems a shame as I have this motor and its brand new and not cost me a penny

I have already made a wooden one which I will use if need be but I am a fussy bugger :) and would really like a nice shiny ally one

I totally understand that Gazo....... it has to be right :thumbsup:

I found a couple in the U.S.A. exactly what you want and need.....but they are quite costly?

Yeah thats the problem mate I can buy a complete grinder for around £650 but I can build one for around £70. Think I will go with my wooden wheel for now until I can find someone to make me an aluminium one, but thanks for looking.

That would be perfect but says do not ship to UK :(

Aww crap.....sorry mate did not see that :rolleyes:............I wonder if a polite Email might help??

Found another source for the same wheel Gazo..........have sent them a begging Email requesting post to the U.K. :rofl:
See if............ and what they come back with.....fingers crossed mate:thumbsup:

Hi Gazo. I have a lathe and could probably turn a wheel for you if I can find suitable material blank. Can you send me a sketch with sizes. do you want a flat drive or vee belt type?

That would be superb mate
Looking for a flat drive wheel approx 8" in diameter min of 2" wide with a centre bore of 19mm

something like this
s-l300.jpg il_570xN.1374831833_qe7l.jpg

my motor has a keyway

20160912_131233.jpg

Cheers please let me know if you can help and what the costs are.
Thanks

I have had a scout around and best material price I can find for 8" diameter by 50mm long billet in aluminium is £42.70.
Only other cost would be postage to you. Let me know what you think. I did also look at cast iron and Acetal but no cheaper or not available in the size.

I have had a scout around and best material price I can find for 8" diameter by 50mm long billet in aluminium is £42.70.
Only other cost would be postage to you. Let me know what you think. I did also look at cast iron and Acetal but no cheaper or not available in the size.

Thanks very much for looking but at the moment it's more than I wanted to pay as its going to almost double the cost of the project just on the drive wheel. plus I still have to buy 3 x idler wheels too.
I did look at the costs of alley billets myself and that price you have given is very good.
But seems I am going to have to look what other options I have.
I am considering selling my motor and buying a faster 2 pole motor I can then use a 4" drive wheel which are far cheaper to buy or make. or wait till the new year and ask you to build the above.
I will have to have a think on my best option and will get back to you. but thanks very much for offering I might be taking you up on it yet. :)

Ok buddy no worries. I'll keep looking to see if it can be accomplished cheaper. I have to go to a local metal dealer for some angle iron so will ask them what they have.

Back