• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Outdoor hats

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Don't know about you guys....but I have tried a few wide rimmed bushcraft type hats over the years.
Most are good in fine weather...but when it tips it down and you need it most....it lets water in and/or looses its shape and takes an age to dry......even around the fire:(

My go to hat at the moment is a simple waxed baseball cap with large peak.....keeps the rain off the glasses....mostly.

Found this one and might give it a punt.....looks like it may do the job:thumbsup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laksen-Ya...with-CTX-Membrane-Size-7-RRP-25-/262875931198

Yep...got a Tilley Joe....leaks like a pig in the rain, even after a coat of Fabsil :(
I think its the way they are stitched.

Yep...got a Tilley Joe....leaks like a pig in the rain, even after a coat of Fabsil :(
I think its the way they are stitched.
They also leak through the vent holes Bill but I still like them, I also have a wide brim waterproof one

Yes...exactly that Joe :(

I like to use them for my shooting as well......but get fed up with a cold wet head and water running down my neck...especially on the colder days in winter.

I may give one of the one's I have linked to a go:thumbsup:

Yes...exactly that Joe :(

I like to use them for my shooting as well......but get fed up with a cold wet head and water running down my neck...especially on the colder days in winter.

I may give one of the one's I have linked to a go:thumbsup:
It must be an age thing mate with you cold wet heads are refreshing:lol:

I like the look of the Laksen also but it's only available in small from that shop and I've got a big heed!

Has anyone tried the tarp hats, i picked a wide brimmed one up off eBay last year.

They sell there seconds on there, less than half the price they sell for in their shop.

They are waterproof when you buy one, you can add another few coats as and when needed.

Not sure what make it is but my hat is Australian leather, made in Oz, a mate bought it for me about 10 years + ago :)

Has anyone tried the tarp hats, i picked a wide brimmed one up off eBay last year.

They sell there seconds on there, less than half the price they sell for in their shop.

They are waterproof when you buy one, you can add another few coats as and when needed.
I'll stick to my well tried and trusted tilley hat

Hi Gary.

Yes mate tried a tarp hat....could not get on with it....made my head sweat....and the wire band was a pig to keep in shape:rofl::(

The search for the perfect hat continues:D

Hi Gary.

Yes mate tried a tarp hat....could not get on with it....made my head sweat....and the wire band was a pig to keep in shape:rofl::(

The search for the perfect hat continues:D
for the perfect hat you need the perfect head Bill so you've got no chance mate:lol::lol::lol:

Back