• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Outdoor hats

They are nice hats.........a good size and shape.......but I found mine next to useless in the rain................like having a dishcloth on your sweed and a bugger to dry :rolleyes:
I may give it a spray with some Nikwax and try that.

Has anyone else that has a Tilly hat tried that.....how did you fair??

They are nice hats.........a good size and shape.......but I found mine next to useless in the rain................like having a dishcloth on your sweed and a bugger to dry :rolleyes:
I may give it a spray with some Nikwax and try that.

Has anyone else that has a Tilly hat tried that.....how did you fair??
a bit pf wax/fabsil amd they'eye're Bill

I use this here from Decathlon.

It is a folding hunting cap, totally water proof but breathing.

Warm enough till 3*C. Acceptable till round about 25*C.

It costs only 9 € and has a good quality.

I think they easily could make tough ruck sacks from the outer fabrik.

Inside it doesn't become sweaty.

It fits very good in ruck sacks or the pockets of jackets.
I use it most times of the year every day.

WP_20181126_13_38_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20181126_13_39_33_Pro.jpg
WP_20181126_13_40_10_Pro.jpg
WP_20181126_13_41_13_Pro.jpg

This older model here is very nice too:

As you know military surplus most times is worth the money, the old stuff often better than the new one.

It is light, relatively protective and well hand made in Germany.

If you plant it upside down in the ground, you can use it as a nice little table where you can put small equipment in, for example pocket knife, torch, lighter or matches, toilet paper and so on.
Multi use equipment saves weight and money.

Surely it is less boring than the usual american baseball caps.

Attention!
It isn't recommended to wear it in thunder storms and under larger electric wires. That could become a bit dangerous.

I always picture senior German officers jumping up and down popping balloons. I find it hard to take certain aspects of military uniform seriously

It wasn't so bad. It's nearly impossible to hit the soldier with the sword on the head.

It was ment as a protection against cavalry attacks. The shoulders had been protected too.

But you are right: It could be useful against balloons and landing Zeppelins as well.

And as you no: Nobody tried to invade Prussia with balloons in the times when those hats had been in use!

May be that they aren't so good together with ultra light tents and tarps...

;0)

Back