• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pack weights (again)

Shrinking kit CAN become a self fulfilling cycle.

A smaller warmer (inevitably more expensive) sleeping bag should lead to less bulk. Shorties such as me (5'7") only need a 3/4 mat which again saves bulk and a bit of weight. Thinking though clothing (wet kit/dry kit routine) and multi purpose clothing also reduces weight and bulk.

If you can reduce bulk then a smaller pack is possible which should be lighter.

Whilst military bergans are strong and reliable they are designed for a mother life where resilience is valued over weight, most civilian rucksacks will do everything we as a community need them to do and weigh less whilst doing it!

That's correct but can we get this thread back on track please

I think that the questions posed regarding temperatures, height & age are relevant to the thread title Joe as the temperature dictates the amount of warm kit one needs to take. The height may be related to the size of the rucksack one uses & the age is relevant with the weight issue as those of us who are getting on in years should not be putting ourselves at risk of an injury or heart-attack :eek: etc due to the amount of kit we feel we need to take ! :thumbsup:

The medium rucksack in your List contains how many liters?
Do you know the Name of it, can you post a photo of it?

Is it an Option for You, to sleep on the ground?

Your Sleeping bag seemes to be rated till minus 20 Degrees Celsius, am I right?
With a thick matres of closed Cell Foam, spark resistant, you could sleep on the Ground and you could let the Hammoc and the under blanket at home.

Is your Tarp a military Tarp in good conditions you could sell? The Decathlon Tarp Arpenaz kaki has only 560 g. It costs 25 €. 290 x285 cm.
But it is only constructed to use it as a A-rame shelter. It has only 6 attachment points. but others offer light Tarps too.Silnylon Tarps start to become cheap.

The Decathlon Simond Rope 2 mm (orange) breaks at 80 kg. 10 meters have only 20 g "Twenty, not 200!) and cost only 4 €. Other mountaineering firms offer equal ropes.
Frying pan is something to legst home, one pot is enough, a small Barbeque Fence should be the highest Luxus you can Carry exeptionally.

Sorry, my Telephone writes here the orthographik mistakes in. Cant do anything against.

Have a look at the Tomshoo titanium bushcraft pot 750 ml.
It looks like this Toaks 750 ml Titanium pot, but costs half the price. It costs only 20 € and is very well made. Around 120 g.

WP_20171208_23_00_58_Pro.jpg

The medium rucksack is 45L http://amzn.eu/9KrYcD0

I realise that ground dwelling would lead to a lighter kit but having only started using a hammock recently I've found it to be much more comfortable than the ground but I must admit I haven't experimented much.

The tarp is a 3x3 which has 8 attachment points http://amzn.eu/dsZWMGn

Thanks @Erbswurst

Does the Sleeping bag fit in the main compartment of the 45 Liter Rucksack? May be without compression bag?

Tinder and plate are far to heavy. Eat out of the pot, and the meat from the barbeque direktly from the Fork! There is a difference in behaviour between London City and the forest!

The Snugpack special forces Bivi has half the weight and works like a MOD Goretex Bivi. it is large enough to contain the comlete Snugpack Special Forces System SF1 and SF2 in full loft and on Top a 185cm Person in Winter clothing, what means Plastic insulation material up to minus 20 degrees and deeper.

An adult Bushcrafter need leather working gloves perhaps, but surely no first aid kit. Let it simply at home! You are not in the army!
Have a look at silky sword saws and pocket saws!

Let the Fat with the Pan at home!
Ask for salt at the bakers shop in very small packets, there are often some from Paper next to the sugar, for the coffee to go. (May be its for Eggs, may be some people prefere salt in theyr coffee.)This you seal in a Toppits Zipp lock bag for the freezer. So you save another 150 g.

Do you carry two torches???
Does the moon not shine in Britain? Does your fire burn dark?
One Torch for emergencies should really be enough.
Habe a look at the Petzl E-Lite!
Here you see the old version, 28 g including batteries!
the new one is lighter and brighter!

WP_20170915_20_13_08_Pro.jpg

A Hammoc should be a fantastic Option!

IN CALIFORNIA IN THE SUMMER !!!

That ist a heavy bulky and not so very intelligent idea in European Winter!

But a small and light do it your self hammoc could perhaps replace a chair.

If you pack with your equipment regarding my ideas in the 45 Liter bag, does all fit in?
What doesn't? Can't you just weare some spare Clothing on the march if you open all the Zipps? Could be for a short distance perhaps an option.

Which total weight did we reach?

Whilst all the kit suggested would lighten the load I think the key part of GIzmos original post is this:

I don't have the money to buy expensive lightweight sleeping bags etc .

A smaller warmer sleeping bag is probably the most significant change that could be made and if purchase wisely should last a lifetime. Alternatively a smaller three season bag and then use a liner, warm long johns and a hat to raise it a season may suffice, everyone sleeps differently so what works for one won't always work for all. everything else is just tweaking within budget and packing carefully.

If he can't invest cash, we should try to let at first things away to reduce the Volume. Than he could sell the large Rucksack he isnt able to carry, and to sell the Bivi.
For military Equipment you usually get out, what you payed.
Than he could by a Snugpack bivi.
So I follow a step by step strategie.

A compact winter sleeping bag till minus 15 *C is every thing else than cheap.

So I attac at first the 3Kiligramm Rucksack, which he could sell to get cash flow, and try to convince him to concentrate in 45 Liters.
What doesn't fit, he has to leave at home.
So he also reaches a lighter load, at first without investing in more than a thick Evazote Matres, if he doesn't have one still in the basement.

Thanks for your thoughts on this guys. :)

The arctic bag doesn't fit in the 45L rucksack, not even nearly. It actually fills most of the volume of the 80L rucksack's main compartment. I completely agree, reducing the size and weight of this and the rucksack is my first task. I can save 1.3kg by using my wife's Vango bag but it's not any smaller volume-wise.

As suggested I'm going to see about selling off unused bits and pieces to see if I can buy a lighter, more compact sleeping bag etc

If you really want to walk with the winter Sleeping bag only 350 Meters, may be, to go two times really should be the best.

For normal conditions you should try to save weight step by step, mainly by letting at home.

There is a big difference between 14 and 20 kg, believe me!
Look for a light normal sleeping bag of civil production they are used often a better deal than used military sleeping bags.
. Have a look at the SF1 ant its bivi from Snugpack. For Summer times till 5 degrees. I use it and I am very convinced.

I think that the questions posed regarding temperatures, height & age are relevant to the thread title Joe as the temperature dictates the amount of warm kit one needs to take. The height may be related to the size of the rucksack one uses & the age is relevant with the weight issue as those of us who are getting on in years should not be putting ourselves at risk of an injury or heart-attack :eek: etc due to the amount of kit we feel we need to take ! :thumbsup:
In which case I apologise to the young man Neil, I can now see the relevance of his questions. I found in my days in the military that persons of my stature could often carry heavier loads and for greater distances than others persons who were several inches taller

In which case I apologise to the young man Neil, I can now see the relevance of his questions. I found in my days in the military that persons of my stature could often carry heavier loads and for greater distances than others persons who were several inches taller

No problem buddy. I just saw where he was going with it that's all. :thumbsup:

In that case you are just the man I need to lug my bergen around in the snow in three weeks time. :D

What is your hourly rate sir ? :)

Back