• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pack weights (again)

No problem buddy. I just saw where he was going with it that's all. :thumbsup:

In that case you are just the man I need to lug my bergen around in the snow in three weeks time. :D

What is your hourly rate sir ? :)
I could have done................................about 50 years ago:rofl:

I misunderstood in the beginning who had the main problem.

Small persons often carry to warm sleeping bags and produce a double problem:

Often they bought a standard size, which is too large. So they can't heat it in the winter, and they buy a warmer bag, that is too large too.

If you give them a correctly rated sleeping bag in the right size, they can save easily volume and weigt.

For Winter conditions it is sometimes necessary to buy a bag, that is tailored exactly for the person.
Cumulus in Poland is doing this for example, communicating in English.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/

Get some kit ideas product names etc from here then try to get them in the sales or 2nd hand if you can to lighten the load on your wallets. Just don't go forcing the prices up by bidding against each other on flea-bay ! ;)

The podcasts & videos are worth a look too.

Will post more lightweight info & links when I find them ! :thumbsup:

Oh, what did I do?

In the End of the day, the British bushcrafters will become lighter than the ultra light trekkers, a tarp in the left pocket, a sleeping bag in the right pocket, a canteen at the belt and a knife. Asking with a smile on the face the ultra light trekker, why he is using that heavy ultralight rucksack.

Oh, what did I do?

In the End of the day, the British bushcrafters will become lighter than the ultra light trekkers, a tarp in the left pocket, a sleeping bag in the right pocket, a canteen at the belt and a knife. Asking with a smile on the face the ultra light trekker, why he is using that heavy ultralight rucksack.

You got us all thinking about how to avoid back-pain in our old age my friend ! :thumbsup:

And it is really like that.

I asked in the German ultralight forum, who is replacing camping equipment with bushcraft skills.

They answered me, it would be impossible to cook over open fire, because it would destroy the nature and you would never be sure, if you are able to light it, because it could rain, and it would take to long to use some sticks as pegs and they wouldn't find trees in Europe to attach a tarp, the sparks would always jump out of the fire to destroy the tarp or set the equipment in fire etc. Nobody was using bushcraft techniques.

That means: The ultra light community is hiking with rucksack weights of 4,5 to 5 kilogramm, some with 2,5 kilograms, (all together, but without water, food and fuel), carrying a lot of ultra light nonsens around!

If we use the materials they are using, and take things which they carry around simply out of the nature, we easily should be able to hike in summer times in woodland with equipment of 1 kilogramm I guess.
A Poncho of 300g, a sleeping bag of 400 g, a plastic bottle of 30g, a titanium mug of 100 g, an opinel knife of 40g, a bic mini lighter, a petzl e-lite torch of 25g etc. That's nearly nothing, but works very well!

That equipment you easily can carry in a Smog and field trousers! You can leave the rucksack at home.

Back