• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sharpening trouble

Matt Mac

Extremely Talkative
Hi guys
I'm really struggling to get a decent edge on any of my knives. The only this that seems to work are some 6" diamond stones, fine and extra fine. Everyone says that the edge isn't very good tho. I've just bought a lansky and it's not really doing anything, I've tried water stones, 1000 and 6000 I've tried wet and dry. What am I doing wrong guys?
At the moment I have my Swiss army knife and my ray Ilse carving knife and both are relatively dull.
Cheers
IMG_20161215_093727170_HDR.jpg

I think you have lost the edge and made it even duller by not sharpening correctly. You will most probably need to re profile the blade the next problem is the blade is stainless and harder to re profile and sharpen than carbon blades but once you know how it's easy,I will find some vids for you and post them below.

View this video first to understand edges and profiles

Then this one to re profile then sharpen to hopefully get the edge back.

I think you have lost the edge and made it even duller by not sharpening correctly. You will most probably need to re profile the blade the next problem is the blade is stainless and harder to re profile and sharpen than carbon blades but once you know how it's easy,I will find some vids for you and post them below.
Thank you very much

This japanese guy is very good.
I follow his chanel and he have many good videos.

Hi Matt.

I confess to being hopeless with setting knife edges too:rolleyes:
Been using one of these for years on different knives for the house and out and about.
Not what a purist would use:D.....but keeps my knives keen enough for bushcraft use.

Just a thought mate......may help you out......and you can tell the missus you bought it for the home:sneaky::whistle::D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Knife-Sha...ic-BLUE-Worlds-Best-100-Genuine-/311563127821

Beware of cheap copies;)

Am just learning the same thing matt it's a bit frustrating sometimes lol...practice makes perfect m8......so they say lol.

I fine it's all in what angle you hold the blade to the stone.make sure the stone you are using has a flat surface. This mite help

Once that's done
Use the roughest stone you have angle the blade till the point is level with the stone and go against the blade almost cutting into the stone 10 strokes one side then 10 on the other side.repeat the process about 6 to 8 time this should re-profile the angle on the blade...go slowly to home your skill

Drop down to a slightly less rough stone
Same as above but drop the the numbers down a couple

Then a fine stone
But this time only 1 stroke one each side repeated 8 times

This process works for me:thumbsup:

Get yourself a leather strop and some compound for the last part of sharpening :thumbsup:

I would keep writing on my previous post but took long time to edit and i have to start here.

Use a low angle and sharpening one side to you feel a little bur on the othe side. As you get the bur, change the side and do the same. After done this, remove the bur and strop the knife. If the edge be too weak you can make a micro bevel to add some strenght to it.
The stone must be flat in the begining to achieve a good result.;)

This guy here has many good videos also.

See also the other videos he ahs on his chanel. :thumbsup:

Cheers guys. IL have to show you how sharp my knife is at the summer meet.
Haha
Cheers

After leaving the farm I went slaughtering for four years, when I was there first I was totally pants at getting a decent edge and suffered some awful cuts as my punishment, nobody had time to show me how to get a real edge so I bought a very early lansky system which got me out of the fix, you can't go wrong if your using the correct guides.
Always amazed me how some people can create incredible edge free hand, Myra's could, but he put it down to his school apprenticeship as a chippy sharpening his chisels.

Most likely, my first job in the slaughter house was skinning cows heads, this is by far the hardest job on your knives if you don't get it right, coupled with the immense pressure put on newbies to keep up, you ruin the edge very quickly.

Back