• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Spinfishing / spoons

Allow the spinner dip down at the spots you mentioned dead trees etc 4 to 5 seconds a dip give it a few twitches then allow to dip again. Almost bobbing. Pike as you will know can need stimulation to strike. If fishing for perch and nothing takes. Try a worm on the lure.

Just out of curiosity. How fast do you retrieve the lure/spoon ? And is it a straight retrieve or do you twitch the tip of your rod ?
I take a few fast turns then let the lure sink then repeat, think how a dying fish is going to behave. 3 or 4 fast turns sink for a couple of seconds then maybe 6 turns or even 2

Well, I did the following:

First three casts reeled in straight and steadily at different paces to get a feeling for the respective bait. Then doing what you said: Trying different depths, including letting it sag down to the ground until the line indicated that. Then again reeling in steadily at the slowest pace possible, with a couple of jigs and at different angles.

As you say: To create a stimulus and a movement that is more "organic", like fish do so to speak.

Funnily enough bass reacted more likely the faster I got the bait spinning.

Allow the spinner dip down at the spots you mentioned dead trees etc 4 to 5 seconds a dip give it a few twitches then allow to dip again. Almost bobbing. Pike as you will know can need stimulation to strike. If fishing for perch and nothing takes. Try a worm on the lure.

Just out of curiosity. How fast do you retrieve the lure/spoon ? And is it a straight retrieve or do you twitch the tip of your rod ?

That is exactly what I tried to imitate. Whether I did well or not I cannot tell, it seemed to work though for the 4 basses at least.

A thing that just pops into my mind: I got bites when slacking the line/stopping. Is there a trick to get a better feel on the bites then?

I take a few fast turns then let the lure sink then repeat, think how a dying fish is going to behave. 3 or 4 fast turns sink for a couple of seconds then maybe 6 turns or even 2

Well, I did the following:

First three casts reeled in straight and steadily at different paces to get a feeling for the respective bait. Then doing what you said: Trying different depths, including letting it sag down to the ground until the line indicated that. Then again reeling in steadily at the slowest pace possible, with a couple of jigs and at different angles.

As you say: To create a stimulus and a movement that is more "organic", like fish do so to speak.

Funnily enough bass reacted more likely the faster I got the bait spinning.

Well it’s just luck you have a problem with :lol:

Ditto. Took many a fish with that technique joe:thumbsup:

Always good to mix it up a bit

Believe it or not the best lure I had for pike was a 3 inch banana looking lure I bought from Aldi for less than a pound:)

Hi Rath.

The general rule of thumb I find is to use the size of lure most suitable in size for the species you are targeting.

Try not to think that the lure alone will catch you fish.

Presentation of the lure counts for a lot, so the right line selection weight wise is crucial........you would not use a 15lb line to catch a small Perch for instance.
If you are casting light lures spinners with a heavy line you will not get the best from them when working or casting them.

The rod also plays a big part............. and for small spinners/lures should be light and sensitive.......not stiff and unforgiving.

Getting the balance right between ROD.......REEL.......LINE.......and LURE will definitely increase your chances of catching fish.
It will also mean you cast and work the lure/spinner much better and easier.

Experiment with retrieve speeds and be stealthy on the banks......don't stomp around but rather stalk your swim and try to keep a low profile.

Fish are fish........but they aren't stupid :D:thumbsup:

That is exactly what I tried to imitate. Whether I did well or not I cannot tell, it seemed to work though for the 4 basses at least.

A thing that just pops into my mind: I got bites when slacking the line/stopping. Is there a trick to get a better feel on the bites then?
I always use braid now because there's no spring in it so you should fell every take

Well thanks for all the comments again, will not go into detail.

Just had a couple of talks with local fellas and decided to get myself some extra gear in order to balance out the rods I have (the 2,70m for example came with fluorocarbon as a standard on the reel, gonna replace that with a braided 0.12).
Also invested in a couple of bigger baits, simply because there is too much action caused by perch. Most of them being between 15cm to 25cm.

Let's see what that will bring - just had the weekend and it is office time again :crying:

Absolutely hate rod fishing, can't just stand there doing nothing! YoYo reels and bank lines for me. I know this is illegal under normal circumstances, but where I do it a friend owns the fishing rights, so have permission, also only take one to eat, anything else gets thrown back for another day

Alright, the last week has been nice:
Three pikes, of which one was some 63cm and another one about 75-ish I guess (did not measure)

IMG_20180709_095513_220.jpg

Great times for sure.

Well, spoons and spinners did not work for a dime t.b.h.

Had one on a crankbait-wobbler (which I then, of course, lost thanks to that wonderful tree targeted haha).
Two on the real-shad in the pic, it is a perch-imitation.

They work really well, will take them to an island soon. And also test the 15cm roach-imitations I got myself. Really curious.

Have to say that I also get an eye for hot spots (been out for quite some days lately)

Well, spoons and spinners did not work for a dime t.b.h.

Had one on a crankbait-wobbler (which I then, of course, lost thanks to that wonderful tree targeted haha).
Two on the real-shad in the pic, it is a perch-imitation.

They work really well, will take them to an island soon. And also test the 15cm roach-imitations I got myself. Really curious.

Have to say that I also get an eye for hot spots (been out for quite some days lately)
Well they are good fish, glad you got it worked out

Yeah, or got lucky. The one on the pic did not even take 10 minutes to bite.

The braided line really makes the difference, the feeling for the respective bait is by far better than on mono...

Yeah, or got lucky. The one on the pic did not even take 10 minutes to bite.

The braided line really makes the difference, the feeling for the respective bait is by far better than on mono...
That is the very reason I fish with braid

Thanks folks.

I really love spinfishing to be honest. Much more fun than staying stationary haha.

Back