• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The Martindale Golok / Machete review.

A very good tool mark for light carry and short trips you don't need a saw nor axe to carry when your packing the golok

This is on my wishlist! I noticed Condor is making one now.

61711C_1.jpg

Sorry to be late to comment.
The machete pictured is not a martindale. It looks exactly the same as my Chinese knock off. If it hasn't got the crocodile on the blade it isn't genuine.

A believe that to be true Adrian.... welcome aboard :thumbsup: could you post up a hello in the welcome section please. It Just allows everyone to welcome you to the forum. And don’t worry about posting late. Post away buddy:D

I had the Martindale Golock but didn't rate it because of the obtuse angle that the blade was ground at or its lack of weight, the bolo is better but nowhere near as good as the stihl billhook that I usually use. The billhook is razor sharp and has a really comfortable leather washer handle.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I have ordered the Martindale mainly as a nod to my military service as was the model we used. I have also ordered at the same time the Australian Condor Golok. One can't have too many tools you know !
I'm waiting on a bill hook gifted from a friend so will look forward to cleaning up and trying out.

This particular billhook is 6mm thick and 450 mm long over all with a scandi grind at approximately 10-15 degrees. Made by Stihl it's the easiest I've ever used.

I had the Martindale Golock but didn't rate it because of the obtuse angle that the blade was ground at or its lack of weight, the bolo is better but nowhere near as good as the stihl billhook that I usually use. The billhook is razor sharp and has a really comfortable leather washer handle.
View attachment 19529View attachment 19530
I have ordered one of these new including delivery for £21.75 so I will be able to try it out myself.
I'm very lucky to have access to an estate on Ashdown Forest owned by a friend complete with wood yard and a military training area. I can test things without being a (public) nuisance. 😏

I have ordered one of these new including delivery for £21.75 so I will be able to try it out myself.
I'm very lucky to have access to an estate on Ashdown Forest owned by a friend complete with wood yard and a military training area. I can test things without being a (public) nuisance. 😏
Nice!, stay safe, remember to always cut away from yourself in case you get a glancing blow. Any shooting rights go with that woodland?

Nice!, stay safe, remember to always cut away from yourself in case you get a glancing blow. Any shooting rights go with that woodland?
Only deer shooting and that is very strictly controlled.
The estate has a very busy calendar of public events so anything I do is very much under the radar.

The problem with this post is that the machete in the photos is not a Martindale Golok and is 100% not and never has been a British Military issue machete.
The British Military issue Golok has been issued for over 60 years and has the nato stock number (Nan) on it along with the Martindale name and Crocodile stamped into it. The machete in these photos is inferior in every way to the Martindale Golok
I’m Former Armed forces and I carried the Martindale Golok on my webbing for many years whilst serving.

Back