• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Trangia Non-Stick

Matt

Site Owner
Staff member
Has anyone found alternative pot,s and pans to replace the originals other than the non stick sets they sell on line

im looking to replace the pots in my trangia set with out being ripped of because its got trangia in the sentence

I'm pretty sure I've seen the pans for the 25 and 27 in stainless, they also do a couple of different hanging billy can type pans that can hold the whole stove set up. All Trangia branded though.
There are some cheap knock off Chinese Trangia clones, their burners aren't worth having but the pans are pretty much the same except they're more curved at the base. You can buy the whole thing for around a ÂŁ10

Really if you use your simmer ring correctly and stir your food you don't need non stick pans at all, I use standard aluminium and have no problems but that said I'm a fantastic cook :)

The frying pan lid is the weak link when it comes to frying. You can shop around for a small non stick frying pan that fits and remove the handle.

Really if you use your simmer ring correctly and stir your food you don't need non stick pans at all, I use standard aluminium and have no problems but that said I'm a fantastic cook :)

The frying pan lid is the weak link when it comes to frying. You can shop around for a small non stick frying pan that fits and remove the handle.

that was my thinking @Harry Palmer so i may just look for a frying pan for my 25 set đź‘Ť

I've buckled a few of the frying pans, they still more or less work so get used but as you say, a weak point in the system. I don't really use the trangia these days, its the meths pots with 'triangles' and different pots but use the trangia frying pans cos the small ones are not much bigger than my mess kit so fine for long trips, got a larger one for 'camping'.

The only moan I have with the Triangle is that you still need to carry a pot and they are not great in windy weather. With a 25 or smaller 27 you have a complete system, fantastically efficient wind shield system and pots/kettle. In the past I've just packed a kettle if all I wanted was a brew and to heat up a rat pack meal or two.

Look in Tesco etc for non stick pie / flan tins to use as a frying pan, just get the right size 6/8 inch Round Dish Deep Pizza Pan Non-stick Pie Tray Baking Kitchen Tool SK | eBay sort of thing.

The only moan I have with the Triangle is that you still need to carry a pot and they are not great in windy weather. With a 25 or smaller 27 you have a complete system, fantastically efficient wind shield system and pots/kettle. In the past I've just packed a kettle if all I wanted was a brew and to heat up a rat pack meal or two.

Look in Tesco etc for non stick pie / flan tins to use as a frying pan, just get the right size 6/8 inch Round Dish Deep Pizza Pan Non-stick Pie Tray Baking Kitchen Tool SK | eBay sort of thing.
I occasionally use a Fray Bentos steak and and kidney pie tin as a frying pan, a perfect size for one person

If it works Joe then use it.

A big problem for many happy campers is that they are crap at cooking. Some of the slops I've seen people make at camp and eat turns me. I have said many times in the past that people and its mainly men, who don't cook much should practice camp cooking at home. If your not a regular home cook then

Pick a few 'signature' dishes, food you like and know you'll eat at camp.

Cook these dishes at home using the equipment you'll use at camp, same pots/stoves etc until making them well becomes second nature.

There endith today's lesson :)

If it works Joe then use it.

A big problem for many happy campers is that they are crap at cooking. Some of the slops I've seen people make at camp and eat turns me. I have said many times in the past that people and its mainly men, who don't cook much should practice camp cooking at home. If your not a regular home cook then

Pick a few 'signature' dishes, food you like and know you'll eat at camp.

Cook these dishes at home using the equipment you'll use at camp, same pots/stoves etc until making them well becomes second nature.

There endith today's lesson :)
I'm very lucky in that in my very early days I trained as a chef Harry, one of the major problems I see with people is the belief that the hotter the fire the better but in reality it isn't, what you need is controlled heat. Shove stuff into a cold frying pan and it will stick. Put your oil in the pan, bring it up to cooking temperature and then add what your going to cook

Taking your time prepping your produce first is worthwhile too......when out and about there is really no rush to cook the food.
Prepare veg....open tins.....butter bread.....then light the stove.
A bit of tin foil comes in handy too to keep bits and bobs warm while cooking other stuff.
Cant beat a nice fresh produce stew on the longer camp outs:thumbsup:

Taking your time prepping your produce first is worthwhile too......when out and about there is really no rush to cook the food.
Prepare veg....open tins.....butter bread.....then light the stove.
A bit of tin foil comes in handy too to keep bits and bobs warm while cooking other stuff.
Cant beat a nice fresh produce stew on the longer camp outs:thumbsup:
I couldn't agree more Bill

Do any of you guys store/carry additional stuff inside the inner pan or kettle. If so what kind of containers do you use?
I've made a circular cutting board out of very thin cedar that fits in the top of the wind shield when it's all packed down, it doesn't add much to the weight and makes food prep much easier

Do any of you guys store/carry additional stuff inside the inner pan or kettle. If so what kind of containers do you use?
I've made a circular cutting board out of very thin cedar that fits in the top of the wind shield when it's all packed down, it doesn't add much to the weight and makes food prep much easier
I don't Mike because I no longer do back packing trips, wood is ideal and what a lot of people don't realise is that wood contains a natural disinfectant

Most of what I use my stuff for is van camping at antique fairs in order to be on site as early as possible. I carry a British Army arctic sleeping bag, the Trangia, a few essentials and a few tools in the van most of the time these days.

Most of what I use my stuff for is van camping at antique fairs in order to be on site as early as possible. I carry a British Army arctic sleeping bag, the Trangia, a few essentials and a few tools in the van most of the time these days.
If used properly then that's all you need mate although I do find that cooking a fry up in an arctic 90 can be a bit difficult

I have my mess kit packed with stuff. A couple of piss sample bottles, one with oil, one with washing up liquid, a pot grip, a short metal spork, an opinel (just for cooking), salt, pepper, some dried chillies and garlic, a small vial of tabasco, a couple cuppa soup sachets, some tomato sauce packets, 4 coffee sachets. Between the inner and outer pot I have some of those dehydrated hand towels and a bit of jockbrite. Saves a bit of space although I'll bring extras of some stuff most the time.

I'm lucky to have a supply of different sized nalgene bottles and other wee containers. They get thrown out after use so some make their way to me, a quicky boojy out in the dish washer and they're good as new.

Back