• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

What Are Your Personal Defence Weapons/tools

Keith

Very Addicted
What are your personal defence weapons? This is NOT what you would like to have or prefer to have, this means what have you got right now put by for a TEOTWAWKI should it ever happen.

I have been giving some thought as to what we could be up against. Most of the guns out there are probably in good hands right now. Many of the bad people can't legally possess a firearm & probably don't have the money to purchase a firearm from the Dark Net or the Black Market. So this could mean that the majority of predators will have to rely on primitive weaponry. Of course if they raid the homes of those foolish enough to try & "bug in" in the cities, then they may gain guns that way.

Right now my thoughts are that anything is better than nothing at all. All well & good saying a 9 mm Glock is a great gun, but if you don't have one & can't get one then it is immaterial.

So right now, what have you got? What will you be wearing/carrying for your own protection & perhaps the protection of others?

These are my present choices. These are the weapons I will be carrying every day except perhaps for the long gun when I am within the confines of my home & gardens.
Keith.
Tools_of_the_trade_004_JPG2_REDUCED.jpg
Sword_002.jpg
Sword_Scabbard_Frog_2_003.jpg

Attachments

• Sword_002.jpg
    Sword_002.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 98
I think like LW although I'd like to contribute to this thread I cannot.

Maybe a thread on Improvised Defence tools could be considered.

So Keith do you train in blade work ?? I mean are you practiced in fighting with sword / dagger and tomahawk?

So Keith do you train in blade work ?? I mean are you practiced in fighting with sword / dagger and tomahawk?
Yes, one of our group members is a trainer. When I first got into it I had the idea that it was a Queensbury Rules activity using blades instead of fists. I soon learnt that this was not the case at all :) I do need more practice though & will tackle this when I have fully recovered. I found this to be an interesting & fun activity.
Keith.
SWORD_FINAL_2_003.jpg

My practice sword. This one does not have a sharp blade, yet.

In HEMA within Europe much of the learning comes via the old treatises on the subject matter. Its an interesting area of study.

Because of UK law I don't really want to add much to this thread as it could be taken as premeditation.

A great pity others are not able to share, but I do understand your reluctance. We consider ourselves free, but we have big brother looking over our shoulder in all that we do! I will have to think of a different post.
Keith.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever we put out there on the web is probably there forever, ready to come back and bite us on the arse when we least expect it. It's important to consider what we write and take care not to fall foul of the law.

I have a 2D Maglite. I believe it would serve me well in a trouble situation. Most importantly for me it is not an "offensive" weapon but a practical tool (I am very mindful about carrying legality etc).

I have a 2D Maglite. I believe it would serve me well in a trouble situation. Most importantly for me it is not an "offensive" weapon but a practical tool (I am very mindful about carrying legality etc).
I still have my baton torch somewhere, good torch.
Keith.

Also worth thinking if your defensive tool ( aka " weapon " ) is appropriate to the level of defence/violence needed.

You may have a Big F-Off knife , mace , or battle axe and in a complete WROL scenario that MAY be appropriate.
But Violence tends to be scaleable and either social or anti-social escalation.

A few less then lethal options are worth considering before running through with your cutlass.

Examples - small scale rioting in your immediate area and you see in the back garden a few individuals have broken into your shed and helping themselves to your stuff - are your REALLY going to go out and run them through with a sabre? or are you just going to try to intimidate them with it? If they arn't intimidated and don't back off what are you then going to do?

I'm pretty well covered in certain aspects of this but less than lethal options i'm a little limited on and I have a blind spot upon.

I think this "mindless violence" scenario post SHTF is overblown, sure in the inner cities it might be so but even then it will be short lived.
I stand by my statement that more people will die by disease than will ever succumb to violence.
any weapons I might have are predominately for putting meat on the table.

Interesting story; my Sister was the victim of an attempted burglary while she and her step kids were sleeping. The burglar woke the kids by accident and they screamed. My Sister's reaction was to seize a felling axe that she keeps under the bed and chase the would be theif out into the street screaming like a demented fury in a nighty. She's a big girl and not many people would argue with her when she's in a stroppy mood. :rofl:
The police were more interested in why she had an axe until she explained that all the tools were now kept under her bed because of shed burglaries and ineffective policing of the area. This way the kids can play in the empty shed as a kind of den. However implausible that sounds, it's actually true and she could prove it. The underneath of her bed looked like an medieval armoury.

I can't answer for what might or might not happen in the UK, but in my experience over here, the possibility of extreme violence is NOT overrated. I have already been there, & this was just normal times, not in a national shtf survival situation.
Keith.

Back