• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Who Do You Choose

Lofty knew his stuff back in his day. He was survival orientated and Ray is Bushcraft focused...remember 'survival' means staying safe whilst you await rescue, Bushcraft is living more long term.

Lofty did not impress me with his cheap jibes in that old video.

This thread has got me watching 'Bushtucker man' again, its all on youtube

Lofty knew his stuff back in his day. He was survival orientated and Ray is Bushcraft focused...remember 'survival' means staying safe whilst you await rescue, Bushcraft is living more long term.

Lofty did not impress me with his cheap jibes in that old video.

This thread has got me watching 'Bushtucker man' again, its all on youtube

It's not jibes Harry, it's banter, the thing we used to able to do before PC infected everything. Major Les H. is without a doubt the Grand Fromage in all things "Bush", not a bad word to say about the chap.

The days of that style of 'barrack room' banter have thankfully long gone along with the likes 70's comedy, as for him being all things 'bush'...no, think on that sweeping statement as your well wrong.

Ray shows respect, something an ex SAS man in his 70's should learn to do.

The days of that style of 'barrack room' banter have thankfully long gone along with the likes 70's comedy, as for him being all things 'bush'...no, think on that sweeping statement as your well wrong.

Ray shows respect, something an ex SAS man in his 70's should learn to do.

Attachments

• snowflake.jpg
    snowflake.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 158
Morning Baytree, I agree that he is very very good at what he does but he is more a bushcrafter rather than a survivalist. Strip away all his tools and knives than ask yourself the question. One reason I would go for Stafford is because he was the first man to walk the length of the Amazon and he has the ability to turn anything into a useable tool

Begs the question to me why you included Mears in your list when you don't consider him a survivalist . Would it not have been better to swap him for Wiseman for instance and then re-ask the question ?

It comes back to the age old question of where the definitions of bush-crafter and survivalist overlap; most of the celebrities mentioned probably fit in both camps but choose to portray themselves as one or the other.

Hi to all posting :D This is not a debate on who is the best survivalist. I have been guilty on this thread also. But it’s time to pull it back to the original topic please and thank you :thumbsup:

Begs the question to me why you included Mears in your list when you don't consider him a survivalist . Would it not have been better to swap him for Wiseman for instance and then re-ask the question ?
I put Ray Mears in purely to get people thinking

Lofty wiseman lost a great deal of my accumulated respect when I read his urban survival guide, most of it was utter bollocks and was obviously a naked grab for the cash. There was a chapter about using chainsaws that was an absolute howler of misinformation. I would not have chosen him whatever his age.

I would go alone as the options would annoy me-

Ed wouldnt shut up about thriving not surviving.
Les usually starves and i hate harmonicas
Ray...lumpy and talks with his hands,really dont wanna see his ginger bits either
Bear would die within 18 seconds doing something silly daft.

Guess i will die alone but with dignity (apart from naked)

Back