• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bow ????

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
Thinking on buying a bow after Christmas, nothing to fancy, tho Iโ€™m not wanting a Micky moos on neither lol.

any recommendations??? . Obviously it will be for targets ๐ŸŽฏ only. want to make one also ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thinking on buying a bow after Christmas, nothing to fancy, tho Iโ€™m not wanting a Micky moos on neither lol.

any recommendations??? . Obviously it will be for targets ๐ŸŽฏ only. want to make one also ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hi Mark :)

Are you looking at serious competition target shooting?..............IF you are.

Best advice I could offer up..... is to join a local club and enrol on a beginners course to get the best from the sport and to shoot safely and correctly.
There is a lot to buying a Bow....sights.....strings.....limbs.....risers.....stabilisers etc .....two main types for target Bows are Recurve and Compound.
Finding the poundage to suit you.... and correct Arrow length.....pile weight......fletchings.......knocks.......it really is a science if you want to get right into it :)
Most clubs have beginners kit that you can use and learn on......you may even pick up a half decent second hand bow from one of the members.......once you are ready.

Or there is the more traditional one piece Longbow/Bare bow options........which I know absolutely nothing about :rofl:

We used to shoot as a family many many moons ago....great social side to it and a brilliant sport.....could always give a club a ring and ask to go along for a look at what goes on :thumbsup:

Even a low powered bow is a serious tool and best shot in a field out of the way with a good back stop! ;)

Might be worth buying a book......and have a read first?

On the Crieff Archery site........ have a look in the useful websites tag :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi Mark :)

Are you looking at serious competition target shooting?..............IF you are.

Best advice I could offer up..... is to join a local club and enrol on a beginners course to get the best from the sport and to shoot safely and correctly.
There is a lot to buying a Bow....sights.....strings.....limbs.....risers.....stabilisers etc .....two main types for target Bows are Recurve and Compound.
Finding the poundage to suit you.... and correct Arrow length.....pile weight......fletchings.......knocks.......it really is a science if you want to get right into it :)
Most clubs have beginners kit that you can use and learn on......you may even pick up a half decent second hand bow from one of the members.......once you are ready.

Or there is the more traditional one piece Longbow/Bare bow options........which I know absolutely nothing about :rofl:

We used to shoot as a family many many moons ago....great social side to it and a brilliant sport.....could always give a club a ring and ask to go along for a look at what goes on :thumbsup:

Even a low powered bow is a serious tool and best shot in a field out of the way with a good back stop! ;)

Might be worth buying a book......and have a read first?

On the Crieff Archery site........ have a look in the useful websites tag :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Sound advice bill, thanks mate ๐Ÿ˜Š

re the Crieff club is waiting until next year before they introducing new members buddy, a lad over the fence put my name down for it, the secretary for the club has sent me a welcome email so Iโ€™m hopeful I have my foot in the door ๐Ÿ˜

not sure how far I will take this right enough, Iโ€™ll just see where it goes buddy

Am very interested in the longbow/bare bow and survival bow, love making things off the cuff lol

Excellent Mark :)

Something to look forward to in the New Year :thumbsup:

Plus point being you can make your own Leather Quiver....arm brace.....tab.......etc.:)

Might even attract some customers for handmade leather goods within the club buddy :whistle::D

Excellent Mark :)

Something to look forward to in the New Year :thumbsup:

Plus point being you can make your own Leather Quiver....arm brace.....tab.......etc.:)

Might even attract some customers for handmade leather goods within the club buddy :whistle::D

Love the way you think my good man ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ exactly what I was saying to Sharon ๐Ÿ˜‚

@Ichneumon makes bows he may have some advice :thumbsup:
It's true, I do make bows and teach others to do it. Not the medieval longbow but rather the mesolithic flat bow. The ideal wood for this is wych elm but that's almost impossible to find, ash makes a very good second best. As I do this as part of a group activity with my local bushcraft group it doesn't happen very often. My advice would be to get in touch with Forest Knights, they run bowmaking courses regularly and may even do you a 'special' if pressed. Tell Wayne I sent you.

Looks like a very good and well organised set up Paul :thumbsup:

The cost of the 3 day course is not too bad at all......especially if you walk away with a bow you have made......and the experience and techniques to make more :thumbsup:
Add to that the 3 day camp out.....whats not to like.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Looks like a very good and well organised set up Paul :thumbsup:

The cost of the 3 day course is not too bad at all......especially if you walk away with a bow you have made......and the experience and techniques to make more :thumbsup:
Add to that the 3 day camp out.....whats not to like.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
It is Bill. That's where I learned bow making. Wayne's a funny old bugger but a very nice bloke. His main sidekick, Dave Sinfield, is the font of all knowledge for bow making and infinitely patient. There's room to put a tent up on their site or trees to hang a hammock. Three meals a day cooked over the campfire (by them) and the kettle will be on for as many brews as you can handle (not that you'll have time for many). The chances of coming home with a really nice bow are almost 100%, and any mistakes will be your mistakes. There is, of course, always a slight risk of coming home with a broken stick! But you'll have the knowledge and skills to make more bows. It's three days of intensive work, really bloody hard work, but the result is worth the blood and sweat.

It's true, I do make bows and teach others to do it. Not the medieval longbow but rather the mesolithic flat bow. The ideal wood for this is wych elm but that's almost impossible to find, ash makes a very good second best. As I do this as part of a group activity with my local bushcraft group it doesn't happen very often. My advice would be to get in touch with Forest Knights, they run bowmaking courses regularly and may even do you a 'special' if pressed. Tell Wayne I sent you.

Thatโ€™s spot on ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Had quick scan over it, will have a more in-depth look tonight buddy thanks ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

I have one of these Samick Take Down Bows at 40 lb draw weight, Mark. Not too expensive and you can buy replacement limbs to alter the weight if you choose. Nice bows, although I am not an expert. It's my " Play Bow"...https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/samick-sage-take-down-field-bow.html

This is a 1970's American, fibre glass compound bow that is entirely different to the Samick. It's at 65 Lbs and is a fearsome thing when shooting with Bodkin points and capable of feeding a family in disastrous times.

DSCF5123.JPG
DSCF5124.JPG

That's technically a Compund Bow. as you say.................or a motorcycle by most archers (it has a wheel at either end) :rofl:

Attachments

• some bows 2015.JPG
    some bows 2015.JPG
    402.7 KB · Views: 185

Am definitely up for this mate, thanks for the tip and allowing me to use your name ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜Š

I have one of these Samick Take Down Bows at 40 lb draw weight, Mark. Not too expensive and you can buy replacement limbs to alter the weight if you choose. Nice bows, although I am not an expert. It's my " Play Bow"...https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/samick-sage-take-down-field-bow.html

This is a 1970's American, fibre glass compound bow that is entirely different to the Samick. It's at 65 Lbs and is a fearsome thing when shooting with Bodkin points and capable of feeding a family in disastrous times.

View attachment 23495 View attachment 23496

A really like the takedown bows, element of survival about them ๐Ÿ˜Š

That's technically a Compund Bow. as you say.................or a motorcycle by most archers (it has a wheel at either end) :rofl:

Whatโ€™s the one to the bottom right lol , caught my eye straight Away ๐Ÿ˜

Back