• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

British Army Surplus Stuff

Erbswurst

Very Addicted
For hiking I usually recommend lighter civil equipment, but without any doubt army surplus usually is a good and cheap option to buy long lasting clothing and camping equipment.

Which British army stuff do you recommend for civil bushcraft use ?

What do you like and what don't you like?

And why?

If possible use your kitchen scales please and tell us the weight of your recommended equipment, so it becomes easier to compare it with equipment from other armies and civil products, and please tell us the size from the clothing if you tell us the weight.

Please try to explain what belongs to what. Usually the military stuff is part of a well thought through complete system, which not everybody who reads it can know.

And please tell us, which parts of the issued stuff you replaced in your civil equipment and why.

Please let us keep this thread clean and don't mix surplus stuff from other armies in between, because that often is part of a similar but different working system and doesn't necessarily fit to the british stuff.

I expect, that even not every british stuff fits together with all british stuff from other decades, so that alone will surely become complicated enough for everybody who didn't serve in the British army.

Please try to give us as much as possible own photos, links and external explanations, that this thread will get the high value for everybody who reads it, that you all together can reach without any doubt.

I know most British equipment only from the shop because in Germany it had been always relatively expensive compared with Bundeswehr stuff, and so I didn't try it out.

That's why I ask this questions and will not give any answers about it.

Thank you!

As a current part time and former regular infantry soldier I have used a large selection of kit available on the surplus market and am in possession of a fair range of it to this day.

In terms of its suitability for bushcraft then you have to understand the compromise that you may be choosing based largely upon what you see yourself doing; be that parking the car and walking a few hundred metres (if that) to your camp for an afternoon/night/long weekend to trekking unsupported the length of the amazon river hunting for food as you go.

You also have to understand the gestation if military equipment; it is designed, tested and purchased to fulfil a role and to a price (not always the lowest price at that). It is not owned by the user so tends to be robust as it is generally misused; it is also often replaced rather than repaired. It is also the victim of fashion; irrespective of how good it actually is british soldiers don’t like uniformity and always want to be a little bit different; if the special forces use something different (and they often do, ideally because they have a different requirement but mostly because they have a bigger budget, they are allowed to and because they also want to be different!) then the standard soldier wants to use what they do.

Once you have decided what your requirement is (and your budget both financially and in terms of mass/bulk) then you can gauge how suitable some of the equipment is for you.

It is also worth baring in mind that a huge amount of the military kit available through ships such as military mart and others is NOT military surplus; it is civilian kit copying military designs; it may be suitable for your needs but is unlikely to be as robust as the genuine article.

Scene set; I’ll mention some kit in subsequent posts.

Sennybridge there is a mobile burger van, you can spot the SAS instructors/team as they all wear some sort of army jacket and blue jeans :)

38 (and others here), have you used Endicotts | Army Surplus, from personal experience I would say are amongst the very best UK surplus shops and they always answer the phone if you have a query as they often stock more than is on the web page; just phone and ask.

Never used endicots but I don’t actually buy that much military surplus, rather having acquired, traded it throughout my career.

I had a quick look today, first time in years and they have some good bits and bobs

Crusader mugs, price varies according to condition

US mess set, aluminium pots, stainless steel lid/frying pan.

Water bottle with plastic mug, price varies

sleep mats

Bivi bags

Packs

Just phone Kevin and tell him what your after

British army bivi bag

Available in DPM, plain olive drab and now MTP. The OD ones will be older but that doesn’t mean avoid them as the level of use before disposal will be key. I’ve got an OD and a DPM one and tend to use the OD one partly because the DPM one stays packed in my Begen and also because it’s harder to trip over.

Introduced as part of PLCE in the 90s it is a big simple bag with a drawstring closure. This may be an issue for the less agile as an element of catapillar impression can be required getting in, especially if using a hammock.

Available from around £30 for grade 1 bags, cheaper for grade 2, from numerous sources, OD will be cheapest, MTP most expensive.

Weight is around 900 grams.
It’s a big bag, will easily fit the issue sleeping bag or pretty much any civi bag you choose. Plus have room for spare clothes etc.

I’ve seen people talking about fire tex repairs patch’s; for small holes (cig burns in the dark!!!) is just use a tent repair patch as that inch not vein breathable probably won’t make too much difference.

On the whole, heartedly recommended.

Standard bivy bag is the dogs doolocks IMHO. I had a Dutch bag with centre zip which was a good bag but I sold it when I planned on my move to NZ and now have a standard issue, works for me.

Seem logical to discuss the Sleep system 90 sleeping bag; often advertised as the M90 or arctic sleeping bag and sometimes the M95 (the latter being seemingly linked to soldier 95 which it wasn’t part of). Affectionately known to soldiers as the bouncing bomb.

These can be picked up for around £30-35 and you will struggle to get a warmer bag for the money but there is a downside.

A synthetic filled true four season bag it comes in at 2.5kg with its compression sack. I and many others never used the compression bag but squashed it inside the bivi bag to the bottom of my bergan; this made it easier to deploy in the dark when it inevitably was taken out and also meant it filled nooks and crannies in the pack rather than forming one solid lump.

It has a half- centre zip with baffle and two internal mesh pockets which I kept a pair of dry gloves and a thin hat in but could be used to dry socks.

It fits in well with the bivi bag as they were introduced together

It is thus heavy and bulky but is very warm; if your not travelling far then it’s hard to beat; if your walking a long way then there are lighter options. What I will say is that I, like many others purchased, a lighter bag but went back to it when I’d suffered a few cold nights on exercise.

I’ve slept in it at about minus 20 and on it when a lot warmer.

It’s been replaced by a two bag system but I would say has a role in many bushcraft adventures for many moons to come.

I love my 'Arctic' bag but really really fancy buy a Wiggys Antarctic bag, good to -50c !!!! I'll never buy one, no need :(

I love down but jackets, I have Two RAB and a Mountain Equipment jackets, fantastic, warm but they do absorb body moisture unless you can dry them out every couple of days they loose insulation. You need 'dry' heat like a woodburner.

Harry, you shouldn't buy a -50*C bag for normal winter use!

I owned a "US Army Extreme Cold Weather" sleeping bag, which I bought used, so it wasn't as warm as an original new one.

I think it's the US army's Alaska bag.

I went in it at -25*C. After 25 minutes I had plus 30 Degrees in it and after it I started to get cooked!

That's one of the reasons, why now a days they changed to two bag systems, because you can better regulate the temperature.

What I wanted to write about every army surplus sleeping bag:

Usually the armies sell them when the fibres inside are broken. The used bag civilians can buy usually isn't as warm as the same bag, when the soldier gets it, but of course it stays heavy and doesn't really loose the packing volume like the ability to insulate body heat.

For car and canoe use that doesn't really matter, such a warm and cheap heavy bag is very nice to have in the Canadian canoe, and it's comfortable too because it is thick, nearly like a sleeping mat.

But a beginner who wants to go hiking should know that!

For the hiker usually a civil new sleeping bag is the better option, regarding weight, volume and function.

The same is with padded jackets and trousers with synthetic fibre filling:
Nice to wear them, bad to carry them around!

Last edited:
In any unit I’ve served in sleeping bags are stored hung vertically which avoids the crushing issue.

Also British army bags are just sold in batches; they’re not tested to see if they’ve got colder and in some cases the ones being sold may be unissued.

I’d stand by my statement that you’d struggle to buy a bag as warm for as little money.

" I'll never buy one, no need " I wrote.

Graded army kit is fine, Grade 1 is often un-issued as was the case with my Arctic Army bag, grade 2 or grade 3 is nowhere near as good.. I owned a US Army, Sleep System, two sleeping bags and a Goretex bivy, I found it very constrictive although in theory a good system. Really Erbswurst you don't know anything about British kit so stick to what you know please

I am not a beginner, I have done a lot of winter camping and not just in the UK.

" they’re not tested to see if they’ve got colder and in some cases the ones being sold may be unissued " Agreed, thats why a good supplier does the grading for you :)

I’m an ex squaddie ( although many years ago now ) I like army surplus gear , almost everything except the mess tins !

Military gear is much much better than in the eighties . Sleeping bags and goretex waterproofs are great 👍

They are not the lightest but are tough and good for bushcraft use , if your going lightweight there is a plethora of options available.

I’m out tomorrow and will be using a combination of military kit and lightweight civvi gear .

For a coastal bivvy tomorrow I’ll be using an issue jungle sleeping bag and and MOD bivvy with civvi mat and a lightweight tarp if required .

In terms of quality of equipment the only thing I’m currently issued I’d potentially replace is boots (which are a very personal thing and I’ve got weird feet and ankles) and if I wasn’t mostly flying a desk I’d invest in a quality soft shell rather than a smock (which doesn’t really work with body armour). The rest of the current issue kit is pretty impressive.

In terms of quality of equipment the only thing I’m currently issued I’d potentially replace is boots (which are a very personal thing and I’ve got weird feet and ankles) and if I wasn’t mostly flying a desk I’d invest in a quality soft shell rather than a smock (which doesn’t really work with body armour). The rest of the current issue kit is pretty impressive.

What boots do you wear ? I have some surplus hiax , they are comfy but heavy , but at least waterproof , I spent the eighties with wet feet !

Reactions: Bam
I’ve had stress fractures in both legs so tend to use low leg boots; I have a pair of haix high intensity dessert boots from the latest issue and a legacy pair of lowa non Gore-Tex patrol boots which are by far the best boots I have ever used but are black so can’t be used for work anymore. I’ve got aku low leg boots on order.

Previously I’ve worn scarpa walking boots (ironically dyed black) which is an expensive option but as an infantryman I’ve invested in my feet.

Steinkogler offers original Austrian Army boots in individual measures. That means: Perfectly fitting orthopaedic army boots!

(I wrote you a PM about it.)

I mix military with civvy, partly cost, partly personal preference. Some of the 'issue' gear, I got for free but some I had to buy, my little corner of the Forces wasn't particularly geared up for living in the woods. Personally I don't like the 'camo look' although my bivvy bag is camo, its whatever you find works for you. There isn't a 'right' answer on it and we all change our mind anyway. :lol:

I’m an ex squaddie ( although many years ago now ) I like army surplus gear , almost everything except the mess tins !

Military gear is much much better than in the eighties . Sleeping bags and goretex waterproofs are great 👍

They are not the lightest but are tough and good for bushcraft use , if your going lightweight there is a plethora of options available.

I’m out tomorrow and will be using a combination of military kit and lightweight civvi gear .

For a coastal bivvy tomorrow I’ll be using an issue jungle sleeping bag and and MOD bivvy with civvi mat and a lightweight tarp if required .View attachment 16647

Have a good one mate, me and Smurf are away tomorrow night too, fairly short walk so i'll be packing more, I can't help myself. I will being TRYING to go light.....

Totally agree about the issue gear from the 80's, mostly pretty gash really but come the 90's there was a lot of 'scope' with civvy gear, I think the mob have caught up a lot though, I've been out 5 years and I've still 'got a guy' and the kit is soooooo much better.

I don't feel the need to buy into a 'brand' I pick and choose according to budget as much as anything, I have kit that I'll save for but also kit I use because its cheap or whatever. Tomorrow night I'll be in an Aldi down 2 season sleeping bag, if required I'll be in my issue softie suit, whatever works....

Back