• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

North West Bug-out Hq?

Sadly, there is no such thing as ' cheap a disused farm or cottage' but you could maybe start off using video conference calls on Skype?

The sister forum to this, the bushcraft forum, run by the same team of people already run some very good bushy meets. Would it not make sense to meet at ones of those meets?

The sister forum to this, the bushcraft forum, run by the same team of people already run some very good bushy meets. Would it not make sense to meet at ones of those meets?
Might that not add to security issues? Also if any of those people were interested in survival, would they not already be on here?
Keith.

Since we are so spread out and disparate in our needs perhaps what we should do is a little research into what each of us needs from a centralised bug out and what each of us could contribute, after all this could represent a significant ongoing cost.

Another issue in camp craft is privacy, difficult enough to get some time and space to yourself even within the family unit, how much worse could it be with several families. This would need to be a very large and heavily sub divided space for several families who are previously unknown to each other. (Can you imagine your missus being happy about being cramped into a holiday cottage setup with30 other people that she doesn't know) it would need to be a very big house or small hamlet or tempers would fray and the group would fracture very quickly.

The kind of place that is outside the blast radius of primary targets and able to support this size of group even at a basic level of water, food and shelter is likely to have already drawn the attention of disaster resiliency planners eg. government, police and military...shall we take bets on them welcoming us to join them.

Having thought this through a little I'm beginning to think that the centralised idea presents more difficulties then benefits but a network of friends who can communicate and help each other would be do-able. There are groups of the Seymore (sustainable living) type preppers to the South West of me. These groups tend to be made up of opt outs who buy a farm or cottage with land within a reasonable distance of others who have the same mindset

OK, folks.. let's get this in context.

Harry, there are any number of disused buildings in this country.. farms, cottages, even old mills and factories! Come to that, you only have to have a look around at unused old married quarters on now abandoned RAF bases! Whether we could 'rent' or 'squat' is a different matter, but finding the right place is more important first.

I am proposing this 'central' HQ as an INITIAL bug-out post SHTF, prior to that to be used as a meeting place so we can pass on skills, ideas, and show strengths. With this in mind, Skype (which I don't use) and other Internet stuff would not allow this. I am NOT suggesting that we use it for extended post SHTF occupation by the whole group! Instead of us all disappearing into our own chosen bug-out places, we could at least co-ordinate, THEN disperse. That way we know who's where and doing what!

Think of it like the YHA and many other places do: a camp site with a central facility for cooking, washing, ablutions, storage.

OK.. so suggest somewhere? My thoughts were at least one permanent building where we could store stuff instead of carting all our stuff in one go.. hence the 'pooling resources' in my first post. These are the sort of discussions we could do a lot faster face-to-face.

One idea was to rent (yes, pay money!) to secure a garage or building we could use as storage area and 'point of contact' meeting place. I don't know WHAT would work.. that's why I opened the thread!

Personally a think the only thing that would work at present is......a forum meet along the line of a camp site. This would offer an insight to who will show and who won’t. After 1 or 2 meets we would all know each other and take it from there

Something I have done on my primary routes to and from my home and at my secondary bug out destination is to bury food grade plastic barrels Containing cashed goods. That could answer some storage needs.

As a landowner I can positively tell you that most landowners watch their property well, especially any buildings. You can get away with a lot by scouting a building first and only moving into it after dusk, then moving on at first glimmer of daybreak...but try storing stuff in an "abandoned building" and it will be gone within days. (Probably on eBay :rofl:)

I've tried to make this point before, everything belongs to somebody and even in low population density places they have strong ideas about property rights.

..Hence my thoughts on renting! Unless, of course, someone could be resident.

To each their own.. I'm just throwing out suggestions.... so far a meet seems to be liked, the central HQ not. So let's work towards a meet?

i like the sound of a building, renting it would give us at least some legal rights to be in situ.
its the location I have problems with, hence my comment about us all being spread across the country, from Mark up in the north to me in the south west and everybody in between, so wherever it is it isn't going to suit everyone.

OK.. Here's an idea, and I would like some Poll on how many would be interested:

A meet in Derbyshire sometime in March at a YHA. To qualify this consider the following:

You don't have to be a member, just you don't get members discount.
It's as near central in the UK as we can get.
Depending on the accommodation wanted (there's no camping at YHA in Derbyshire) it's reasonably cheap.
Self-catering is available, plus meals cooked by YHA.

So, how would folks feel about that, please just give a Yes or No.. I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time trying to set this up?

Might that not add to security issues? Also if any of those people were interested in survival, would they not already be on here?
Keith.

Some are, and that's my point - why reinvent the wheel? I'm not sure I'm with you on the security issues though Keith.

Aww Cm'on.. SECURITY? Let's face it, we wouldn't be talking on this here if security was a worry! Security from WHAT?
The Gov't wouldn't care, the UK Forces would probably be interested in joining, the cops would have too much to do...
We're not discussing armed insurrection or revolution, just a meeting place!

Thanks, Harry.. worth a look. I've looked into Wild camping, the rules and the problems, but that looks more like what I'm looking for.

Your better off with camping meets as it gives you mobility, different locations to suit different members.

It's perfect, Harry, and thanks for pointing me at it.

Back