• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Dried Milk Powder

not for me harry lol we have been buying unsweetened almond milk
good long dates on it but a bit greasy for my liking
will have to get a cow I think lol

Its nectar of the gods, good in tea, fantastic in coffee and adds flare to hot chocolate. Pick some berries, add SCM as an energy boost, spread on bread and butter/biscuits, add to ice cream.....:)

Almond milk??? good gosh, I thought only the vegetarians used that vial concoction ;)

I'm making a cheese cake for tomorrow, using SCM in the recipe :cool:

cant eat cheese cake anymore not since I had my gall bladder removed 22 years ago!!:p

I buy UHT milk in places like Lidl, a box of 12 at a time. they now use british milk to make it where before it was continental milk they used. Tesco's also use british milk in their uht.

I noticed in Tesco, the only people buying UHT are pensioners, they must miss the days of having sterilised milk delivered LOL

I won't drink UHT milk on principal, the principal being that it tastes awful. Treated myself to a pint of Gold Top full cream milk in Tesco's this morning, makes the best cup of tea a mere mortal can imagine.

the point is from a prepping perspective is that UHT lasts a long time and dosent start to go off until you open the carton, fresh milk will go off fairly quickly especially when the power is off and the fridge dosent work any more.
its surprising how quickly one gets used to the taste, its not that bad and after a day or so one dosent notice it anymore, I started drinking it in 1998 and its all we drink now.
our stock will last us about 8 weeks (then its on to the milk powder), this will cover any smaller SHTF event, anything longer term than 2 months and we'll all be drinking just water anyway!!

Last edited:
I see what you mean LW, but I truly can't stand the taste, the Nido milk tastes far better IMHO. I've made some hot chocolate which is chilling in the fridge...a Lumumba is on the cards for late afternoon :)

Another Nido fan here. We also store skimmed milk powder as we use the skimmed for cooking with and the Nido to drink.

I usually buy 6 litres of fresh full fat milk a week, mainly for my own use, I like milk, what can I say? In my store I have a further 12 litres of full fat UHT that gets used up when I'm running low on fresh. I have not tried Nido milk but I will get some when I see it....if it's crap I'll blame you guys :sneaky:

Same here. This house is powered by Tea.
Usually we have fresh milk and skimmed milk powder for cooking. In the stores we have skimmed milk powder and Nido milk powder. We also store UHT skimmed milk, it's the only one that doesn't taste boggin' (it's the fat in the milk that is affected by the process) and we also store evaporated and condensed milk. As Donald Pleasance said in the Great Escape "Tea without milk is so uncivilised" ;)

While my preps dont seem to be anything like you guys i have some food preps and obviously working on more daily, i brought a kg size(or more) of powdered milk for each weeks prep of food i have( think it was from one of the cheap home bargains or b&m, very cheap).Even when on exercise and tour i couldnt stand powdered milk so we always pre mixed in a bottle and shook it up pre pour in to drinks seemed to taste better, but not sure wasnt just a mental thing!

Funny you say that edd, we think the same. Always make up the powder into 'milk' before we use it.

Back