• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland Galloway trip photos and write ups

That would work for me Bam with one exception, I do like to have a chair in my tent so I need the headroom

No, there's no room for a chair, its not that sort of a tent. We did have a big 4 person (allegedly) standy up tent with a wee porch area when I was able to convince the missus to camp more. It packed down BIG and was a solid aluminium framed job. Perfect for site camping (all she would go for) but I got rid of it last year as it was on the way out.

Its horses for courses isn't it, that one pictured is great for hill walking although by modern standards its considered heavy. The one I bought to take to Galloway is more spacious but still a 'low' tent, if I do convince the missus to head out again we might get another 'big' tent.

No, there's no room for a chair, its not that sort of a tent. We did have a big 4 person (allegedly) standy up tent with a wee porch area when I was able to convince the missus to camp more. It packed down BIG and was a solid aluminium framed job. Perfect for site camping (all she would go for) but I got rid of it last year as it was on the way out.

Its horses for courses isn't it, that one pictured is great for hill walking although by modern standards its considered heavy. The one I bought to take to Galloway is more spacious but still a 'low' tent, if I do convince the missus to head out again we might get another 'big' tent.
Just like me you're eventually going to get old and the bones will ache mate, then the big tent and a comfy chair becomes a god send:)

Just like me you're eventually going to get old and the bones will ache mate, then the big tent and a comfy chair becomes a god send:)

Aye, I suspect so Joe, I'll have to modify my trips as I age. I'll certainly have to lighten my load, I'm still able to pretty much take what I want but that will change. :(

IMG_20200220_162722.jpg
IMG_20200220_162717.jpg
IMG_20200220_163646.jpg

With Matt and Neil's departure today and the very stormy night last night I made the sensible decision not to continue to solo camp for the next few nights. The forest is just too dangerous for hammocking and the ground too soggy for tenting.
There were branches dropping around (and on) my tarp and the top of one of the trees my hammock was on was slapping into another tree through the night which felt like someone kicking my hammock.
So, I'm back home for now. Heating on and rum in hand :)

pics and vid to follow once I've settled down

To give you an idea of how much rain there's been here.
This area, pictured featuring partially submerged trees, is usually land.
The loch is 10km long and the whole loch is at least a meter higher than normal. That's a lot of water.

View attachment 20443
Looks like it might be time to invest in a canoe Paul, joking aside mate that's not looking good with more rain in the forecast

Back