• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

How light is lightweight ?

Please control the marks at the side!
250ml, 500ml, 750ml.

Is that correct?

One in the german ultra light trekking community bought one, where this marks weren't correct.
It is necessary to know it, if people use that modern dehydrated trekking food, where you have to put an exact amount of water in the food bag and eat it after a while out of the bag.

(Or if you drink a very strong coffee!)

;0)

Does the Tomshoo spork / spoon fit in in the diameter like on my photo the Quechua, Robens or Nordisk folding spoon, or only vertikal?

WP_20180401_02_34_47_Pro.jpg

And here a lightweight collection for beginners. One stop in one shop and go!

View attachment 12490View attachment 12491

Of course there are lighter solutions for low budget and with lower weight like the Tomshoo mug with bail handle 750 ml titanium, Victorinox Compact, Defcon Poncho vegetato Italiano 400g
etc. But this list can give beginners an idea about, what is useful and what is available if you are on a budget.
Thanks for posting this has been a great help for me as iam on a budget and good to see stuff from a shop local to me.
Be intrested to see a thread on the clothes alone as i find this a bit of a minefield.

@La Cucaracha

Congrats on your first post.......pleased you found the thread interesting and helpful.

Please introduce yourself in the Welcome Section........it gives you a chance to tell us a little about your self and interests.
Also, gives the Forum members the opportunity to welcome you to the forum.

Many thanks.

I'll be very interested in this thread @Erbswurst also, not because I'm a real beginner or a student, but because my budget is always very tight. :)
I encourage others not to allow the threar to go off topic too (as often happens) :)
Thanks

The stuff I will write about is really convincing me. In my opinion it isn't necessary to buy more expensive stuff, if one runs around in normal conditions in the northern half of Europe below the tree border.
High alpine mountain conditions may need other equipment. But that's not my field of interest.

Because the given link to the Tomshoo mug kit is currently dead I give here another link to the same kit:

My favorite mug and water bottle :)

Lightweight? I take as much kit as my man can carry.

My favorite mug and water bottle :)

Lightweight? I take as much kit as my man can carry.

I must admit, if I'm not going too far or high I'll pack as much as I can in the bag, better to have it than not and all that. Unfortunately I don't have a 'chap' to carry it for me,

THAT STUFF IS HEAVY.

WHY SHOULD ONE CARRY A MUG WITH MORE THAN THE DOUBLE WEIGHT BUT WITHOUT HANDLE TO HANG IT OVER A FIRE AND A BOTTLE HE CAN'T BOIL WATER IN WITH THE SAME WEIGHT?

I agree, that mainly a short packing list is important to lighten the load.
But in the end of the year, in winter times, each gram of the summer equipment counts.

40 pieces only 25g heavier than necessary make together a kilogram everybody can feel at his back if the rucksack is full with winter equipment.

The Army bought that stuff because it was cheap, not because it was outstanding good.
If they would buy the best stuff, they would buy titanium mugs and bottles!

Ive rarely hung a pot over a fire as although it looks great I find cooking over coals to more effective with the pot on either a rack or propped on logs/stones.

The British army bottle has been i service for at least thirty years; if you think armies buy what’s cheapest then iyou’ve never been involved in any form of procurement!

It is heavier than a titanium bottle but is pretty much maintenance free; it also doesn’t freeze to you when in sun zero or burn you in the African sun; as an infantry soldier weight has always been important to me but something you have to have what works rather than the ideal...

Ive got camelback bladders galore but the British army bottle will almost certainly remain part of my kit; coupled with a crusader mug and a canteen stand I find it very effective.

"WHY SHOULD ONE CARRY A MUG WITH MORE THAN THE DOUBLE WEIGHT BUT WITHOUT HANDLE TO HANG IT OVER A FIRE AND A BOTTLE HE CAN'T BOIL WATER IN WITH THE SAME WEIGHT? "

Its stainless steel so is good to cook with, it sits comfortably on some stoves, won't melt in a fire, you can easily rig a hanging bale if you feel you need one, I don't need one as the mug is extremely durable and sits on hot embers. I don't need to melt water in a canteen...I have bloody mug for boiling :)

The top plate is designed for the Crusader mug to fit in, you can burn fuel tablets or as I do, a small home made alcohol stove.

Next question please

Here you come in a lightweight thread with the next unnecessary heavy piece of equipment.
Do you want to confuse beginners?

Why don't you open an own thread, where you explain your equipment as a for you surely well working complete system?

And another, where you explain British military equipment as a complete system, what would be surely very interesting to a lot of people?

Please don't forget to tell us about the weight of the stuff. So people easier can compare it!
Not everybody uses a Landrover or canoe when he goes outdoors, and not everybody wants to sit the whole weekend in one place, because his camping stuff is to heavy to carry it over longer distances.

That thread here stands in the "on foot" section. We discuss here lightweight hiking equipment!

I surely do not need to work in a military office or to serve in an army to compare different military equipments with high end products of the civil market and to decide what is helpfull for civil use.

Often soldiers become blind for theyr equipment while serving in an army for longer times.
I met enough of Bundeswehr soldiers who thought, that the (soldiers personal) green equipment from the seventies or early eighties would have been better than the Wehrmacht equipment, which had been ten times better, and I met as well others who thought, cheap civil products would have been better than the outstanding good Flecktarn equipment, which was in the nineties nearly the best one could buy at the world market. But they simply didn't understand the given stuff.

I used civil and military equipment from all sides of WW2 and cold war as well as Swiss and Swedish stuff and low budget, middle priced and high end civil equipment.

And I was teached how to use it by former officers who had been out with Manstein and Rommel as well as using the stuff for civil expeditions and alpine mountain hiking on all continents. And I used the stuff myself for more than 40 years everywhere in western Europe in all conditions.

I agree, that cooking a meal over amber is far better than over fire. But to hang the pot over amber is better than everything else, especially if it is a
For water sterilisation or to make a tea or coffee it is much faster to hang the pot over a hand full of compressed and in its structure broken very thin pine twigs. That's nearly as fast as boiling water with a gas stove.

May be that in very hot or cold conditions a plastic bottle is better than an aluminium or steel bottle.
In normal conditions a titanium or steel bottle can be easily disinfected by boiling water in it and is the better, but in this case not the really lighter thing.
The stainless steel bottle I recommended has the same weight like the British army plastic bottle.

But the british army cup is far heavier than necessary. The titanium mugs are really tough enough, surely for civil use, probably for military use, because they are tougher than aluminium cups other armies had in use, which mainly came out of use, because you burn with them your lips if you want to dring something hot out of them.

When the british army mug was created, and I think it was in the eighties, titanium mugs hadn't yet been on the market. The first I have seen in the nineties and they costed ten times more than the stainless steel mugs.

Titanium was used in the eighties by Campagnolo who was involved in the Ariane Space program and sold titanium screws and other parts replacing steel to professional racing bike teams for use at the Tour de France and Giro d'Italia.
But all that had been solid parts like screws, no thin sheets or plates, I guess, the technique to produce mugs simply wasn't developed in this time.

Last edited:
Aah, there half a sentence lost:

"...especially if it is a pot with less than 2 litres volume."

I wrote.

To me a Crusader mug is lightweight, and its design means you don't burn your lips. You can't drink from screws or racing bikes, but you can easily burn your cooking with Titanium, in my opinion its a well overrated material

My favorite back pack is a long Army Bergen, thats not overly heavy IMHO.

So saying "Here you come on a lightweight thread" is a poor opening comment. I'm not a gramme weenie, never will be and if you can't carry good solid kit you should not be out in the woods, pack up your kit and take up stamp collecting.

Back