• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Informing The Police

spookytooth

Very Addicted
I realise this prickly subject has probably been touched on in the past, but I just wondered how you guys view it, i.e. does it not bother you, or does it get you steamed up?

The reason I'm bringing it up is because stokie and I had this discussion the last time we went out shooting, which is on a golf course. Each time we go he either emails the Police or phones them, and phones the course to let them know we will be out there and times etc. This is all correct and expected, and is actually a part of the requirement of the course committee anyway. No problems here. But it clearly irritated stokie that he had to tell the Police, and he doubted if he would tell them if say we got permission on farmland.

Now I know this would be on private land and strictly speaking there should be no members of the general public to endanger (public footpaths being the exception of course), but I just felt they should be informed just to keep things nice and safely in the black, and to maybe pre-empt what could turn out to be a frustrating confrontation with the Police if a member of the public made a call to them to say they'd seen someone with a gun - after all, even if you're in the right they've got all day to be awkward with you! :(

Ironically, stokie had a call earlier from the Police the same night we had this discussion to ask if he'd been out yet, as someone had made a report that they'd seen a guy walking around with a gun somewhere. On another occasion right just after he'd got permission at the golf course he'd been out with my son, and then just after they'd left all hell broke loose with the Police turning up with a helicopter because they'd been seen and reported by a dogwalker (who shouldn't have even been on the course anyway!). So those examples alone seem to justify informing the boys in blue. :eek:

So, Id be interested to know what your views are on this subject :)

i never call the police before i go shooting even though i shoot on 1 public access golf course ...all i do is make sure i have the relevant paper work (permission slips, insurance, ) and i just go about my evening......

ive had all my permissions for over 5 yrs so any dog walkers or golf people have seen me on plenty of occations and dont take any notice:)

last point... over the years me and the boys in blue havent got on;)...so the thought of calling them my self seem,s alien:)

Surely its horses for courses:p The golden rule is not to get the police stomping all over your hunt [or, as the police call it, treading carefully and quietly]

Spookytooth's situation seems to be one where busy-bodies phone the police if you so much as wave a walking stick in the air. So letting the police know makes sense: they should tell the busy-body that its OK and won't come and disturb your hunt

Ex terminators situation seems to be one where he's part of the scenery and so his hunts aren't troubled by the police.

I think the main reasons to phone them and let them know is not to cover your arse as you already have permission but to stop them turning up in force guns drawn because someone has reported seeing a couple of guys with guns.
Anyone reporting you will not say to the police that they have seen a few guys hunting with airguns they will just say 2 guys with guns and the police have to respond to it. And that is the last thing you want is guns being pointed at you being told to get on the floor and a chance of you gun being taken away and tested. get a funny copper and this could happen so for the sake of a call it's got to be worth it. I used to shoot in a small village area and got to know the local police that had my mobile number and if anyone was ever reported in the area they would ring me and ask if I was out hunting.
Yes I think it's worth it for them reasons but not necessary and as matt said always carry your permissions and insurance.

See what Gazo says above ^^^

Makes perfect sense to me

I think this is another postcode lottery sort of thing, it just depends what the locals are like. Round here hunting is a part of life and even the neighbours on one of my shoots who don't like me hunting are used to me and accept what I do because it is the norm round here.
Some other parts of the country are not so understanding and this isn't the first time I've seen this sort of story come from the north/midland area.

I've never called the police before I shoot but if I see one walking about nearby (I work in nearly all the places I shoot) I do collar him/her and let them know I shoot in the area from time to time.

That's exactly my take on it, and the point I was trying to make to stokie - i.e. it could just save a hell of a lot of hassle. His point is that he's not doing anything illegal so why bother, which seems to be a common opinion.

Anybody who is a member of BASC will have read in this months mag' that it is in the opinion of BASC good practice to keep your local law enforcement in the loop with regards your shooting arrangments, ie locations and timings

Page 10 Help to avoid armed call-outs

MiK

one of my permissions surrounds an army barracks ....when im shooting the land i pop into the main gate and let the guys know im about:)

More like a smart arse than a coward.

Smart arse bazza!

To be honest Spooky, anything to do with authority really gets my goat. So I'm with Stokie on this 100%.

I just think if you call the police and open/reopen an incedent every time you go out your only really making a rod for your own back. After all you're doing nothing illegal.

Surely they're not so stupid as to open an incident file for this. But then again, they're probably following rules so as not to tax their little brains and do the obvious, sensible thing.

Thing is if they've been informed they know your plan. Like I said earlier the police had been told we were going out later, but someone was reported in the area carrying a firearm. The police checked with stokie to see if we'd been out yet, and as his answer was no it eliminated him and they were able to act accordingly. People are quick to criticise the police, but in doing just a small thing like keeping them informed can end up saving probably hundreds of thousands of quid, especially if helicopters are involved. You may well be within your rights by choosing not to inform them, but that's pretty cold comfort if they do decide to check you out thereby costing you a chunk of your shooting time. But.... it's your choice :)

i had a pull last night but still not going to tell them when im there its there job to check any way so even if you call they will still turn up man with a gun lol

To be honest, I'm not sure if Leicestershire isn't a bit unique with this system. I remember reading an article in a mag last year which featured this very subject, and it was written by a PC from the Leicester force. It could be that the Leicestershire Police are pioneers. In my experience it just seems to work fine with very little effort. It would be interesting to know if there's a similar system in other parts of the country, and if people are aware of it. Maybe the Police need to be a bit more informative? I'm sure they would be glad to lessen their work load :D

I think you're right there Spooky. I seem to remember reading that some forces (especially rural places) have a number you can ring to let them know. I checked the Sussex police website at the time and it seems they don't do it round here:(

I always ingorm the police when i go out i cant be doing with getting rushed by 10 officers with their guns drawn

Back