• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Knifes and other edged tools

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
Am starting this thread to give people a chance to air there views on knifes and alike. I have noticed a few topics on other threads swaying towards this subject.

My views are simple...... a knife is not a weapon until used as one. We should be allowed to carry (openly) without fear of being prosecuted or frowned upon. There should be no gray areas in the law it should be clear...... I would even agree to a license of sort. But not a selection process....more of a.....if you have reason for having/needing one it should be permitted and not involve the law unless someone has misused or misusing one.

What’s your thoughts

I’m pretty content with the law if applied appropriately; you can carry a knife if you ha e a legitimate reason to do so.

Works for me, I find it a bit cringy when I’ve been to the bushcraft show and everyone is carrying a knife on their belt just because they can!

I have a number of knives , I only carry one when wild camping , bush crafting or sometimes when fishing . I usually keep it in my Bergan unless I am actively using it in the woods . I wouldn't normally mooch about with a knife on my belt .

I also sometimes carry a small knife around my neck for convenience but again only when in the woods .

The law if applied correctly should be sufficient and I am confident of my reason and legitimacy for carrying one when I do .

Imagine you are on a normal public camping site tenting with your family , you wish to prepare a salad for your lunch , would the use of a kitchen knife in view of others to cut a tomato cause concern or be legitimate use ( ?) , would the use of the knife be illegal because of its size (?) would its use be classed as brandishing ( ?)

The problem with the law at present imo is there is a big hole in it (large grey area)

who decides if we have a legitimate reason for carrying? (It’s not me!)

There should! be a law against concealed knifes and who and where there purchased. Also harder sentences for people who commit crimes using a knife or other bladed tools. People like our community that take great care and responsibility in using such tools should be allowed to without being in fear of doing so. Because let’s face it if our reason is not deemed fit or the gentleman holding the badge has had a bad day then we could be up the creek without said paddle lol.

I to pack my axe and knife away in my bag and also only take it out when off the beaten track. However I would like to walk about the woods free to carry it on my belt without risk as do shooters with there guns over there shoulders or by there side.

While I like the idea of being able to carry knives or whatever I don't think the matter is quite as simple as we would like it to be. The often used phrase " it's a tool not a weapon" seems clear enough but I'm always dubious when that is used with regards to guns ( in that the principal purpose is to shoot a projectile to kill something) and equally unsure with regarrds to blades. Swords for instance have no other purpose than to be a weapon although a machete is similar but is definitely more of a tool. Daggers are purely for stabbing and the so called zombie knives are built more for show than use. However , I do agree that a basic utility knife , or kitchen knife is more tool than weapon unless so used. So I would assume that if we were allowed to carry knives there would be restriction ( even if they were more lax than now) on what we could carry.
The " having reason " would probably have restrictions too . For use while camping or working certainly but how about " for just in case I need one" and I couldn't see anyone getting away with saying I carry one to make me feel safe . I had a similar conversation about guns on another forum ( I know this thread is about blades but I see the issues as related).I'm not anti gun by any stretch of the imagination. An American contributor said he believed people should have the right to carrry anything with the exception of perhaps a machine gun for personal protection. I asked why not a machine gun as they have been typically used historically as a defensive weapon which did stump him a little.
On a person case I tend to have a SAK in my pocket most of the time and in the van a machete and a couple of old kitchen knives and a Stanley knife for work. When I re-enact I have a knife on my belt in public although they come off for the battles but it's not uncommon to see people wearing them in town especially at a venue such as the Tewksbury festival. Point there is that sensible people with knives in public are not a problem
If the public as a whole were to be allowed to more openly carry knives I think there would have to be a rethink on those that abuse that right. Much much sterner sentences for inappropriate use , say 15 years for threatening behaviour with a knife and mandatory life sentences for anyone assaulting someone with a knife.

I’m pretty content with the law if applied appropriately; you can carry a knife if you ha e a legitimate reason to do so.

Works for me, I find it a bit cringy when I’ve been to the bushcraft show and everyone is carrying a knife on their belt just because they can!

That's just the point, do we actually need to be carrying a fixed blade knife even at a bushcraft show? Wanting to possess a knife and needing to possess one are two very different things. Most of the things that are done with a fixed blade knife can be done using a decent quality folding knife. Maybe when carving you need to take smaller cuts but it's still doable. As an every day carry tool a robust 3" folding knife can just about cope with most things you could expect to need it to do. Proving a need to carry a fixed blade is nearly impossible whether on your belt or in your bag (legally there is no difference)

Am starting this thread to give people a chance to air there views on knifes and alike. I have noticed a few topics on other threads swaying towards this subject.

My views are simple...... a knife is not a weapon until used as one. We should be allowed to carry (openly) without fear of being prosecuted or frowned upon. There should be no gray areas in the law it should be clear...... I would even agree to a license of sort. But not a selection process....more of a.....if you have reason for having/needing one it should be permitted and not involve the law unless someone has misused or misusing one.

What’s your thoughts
within reason I agree with you Mark but youngsters carrying knives when they've had a skin full of booze is not a good combination.

Even I leave my (legal to carry) pocket knife at home or in the car when I go into licenced premises. No one wants a misunderstanding.

The only time I would ever use a knife for protection or even think I need one...is to cut the para cord to length for my tarp to keep the weather at bay.

Also wouldn’t like the the thought that I was alarming someone if I was carrying one down the street. I just think we need a better law in place that allows me and others the right to carry one in the forest or around the loch. Somewhere I intend on using one in the manner it was made for.

At the moment I can’t decide what is good reason for myself.......And the law is not clear on the matter. Knife law is designed to leave good reason shut of to the person holding the Knife. And in most cases rightly so......

Good reason should include hobbies or lifestyle. My opinion! This is as good as any.

That's just the point, do we actually need to be carrying a fixed blade knife even at a bushcraft show? Wanting to possess a knife and needing to possess one are two very different things. Most of the things that are done with a fixed blade knife can be done using a decent quality folding knife. Maybe when carving you need to take smaller cuts but it's still doable. As an every day carry tool a robust 3" folding knife can just about cope with most things you could expect to need it to do. Proving a need to carry a fixed blade is nearly impossible whether on your belt or in your bag (legally there is no difference)

I agree mate a folding knife would do the job just as good.......but I like fixed blades lol.....I don’t think anyone should have the right to carry a knife.....but I should be allowed the privilege to with the backing of law. But I do see your point buddy

I do think that some sort of permit or licence to carry a knife for use in bushcraft is a possible way forward but that is going down the same path as licensing and limiting access to firearms, all you really need is an understanding landowner with a huge tract of private land to go and play on.
The problem is how individual police officers interpret the law. most are fine, just ordinary guys doing their jobs as best they can but I also know that there are more than a few d**kheads that get off on power tripping. If you're ever unfortunate enough to meet one you'll spot it strait away.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to the idea but frrom a practical or administrative point there would be an awful lot of permits or licenses should such a scheme be brought in. Practically every tradesman uses a knife of some description even iff it's only a retractable Stanley knife and they have been used in assaults . How about kitchen knives ? Cooks and chefs would almost obviously need a permit but how about the average person who takes a knife out with them for the yearly family picnic? Hobbyists of course , for fishing , camping , re-enactment and anyone who carrries one because it may very come in handy.
But does licensing all the legitimate users stop those who would wish to use a knife/tool for the wrong reasons? The argument seems to work with regarrds to reducing the number of guns available for instance , society could continue without guns but the humble knife is such an important tool that if it were restricted or took away we'd really struggle.Harrsher punishments and restrictions on the purchase of knives has seen things like acid being used in place. Restrict that and it'll be hammers or big spanners or screwdrivers or tree branches...
With the recent airport problems there has been a call to license drones which may be the right way to go but there will still be those who will build their own in just the same way as there are people who can and will make their own knives. Only the other day I watched a YouTube video of someone making a knife out of a file . That was just with an angle grinder , no forge work . It certainly looked the part although I was unsure about it being too brittle but that's another story.
I'm not even going to pretend to know how to approach this that won't leave at least part of the population feeling pissed off or ignored , can't please all of the people all of the time and all that.
Seeing as this post mentioned knives and other bladed tools such as axes I'd like to say I'm more of an axe person than a knife one. I do carry my SAK but feel more comfortable using an axe than a large knife . Probably comes from being a site joiner for over 30 years where a lot of work was done with an axe. Shaping , defrrazzing and scribing for instance and I've even eased a door with one and an axe doesn't have to be swung . It's possible to use an axe for really quite delicate jobs too.

I do think that some sort of permit or licence to carry a knife for use in bushcraft is a possible way forward but that is going down the same path as licensing and limiting access to firearms, all you really need is an understanding landowner with a huge tract of private land to go and play on.
The problem is how individual police officers interpret the law. most are fine, just ordinary guys doing their jobs as best they can but I also know that there are more than a few d**kheads that get off on power tripping. If you're ever unfortunate enough to meet one you'll spot it strait away.

Exactly mate

I'm not fundamentally opposed to the idea but frrom a practical or administrative point there would be an awful lot of permits or licenses should such a scheme be brought in. Practically every tradesman uses a knife of some description even iff it's only a retractable Stanley knife and they have been used in assaults . How about kitchen knives ? Cooks and chefs would almost obviously need a permit but how about the average person who takes a knife out with them for the yearly family picnic? Hobbyists of course , for fishing , camping , re-enactment and anyone who carrries one because it may very come in handy.
But does licensing all the legitimate users stop those who would wish to use a knife/tool for the wrong reasons? The argument seems to work with regarrds to reducing the number of guns available for instance , society could continue without guns but the humble knife is such an important tool that if it were restricted or took away we'd really struggle.Harrsher punishments and restrictions on the purchase of knives has seen things like acid being used in place. Restrict that and it'll be hammers or big spanners or screwdrivers or tree branches...
With the recent airport problems there has been a call to license drones which may be the right way to go but there will still be those who will build their own in just the same way as there are people who can and will make their own knives. Only the other day I watched a YouTube video of someone making a knife out of a file . That was just with an angle grinder , no forge work . It certainly looked the part although I was unsure about it being too brittle but that's another story.
I'm not even going to pretend to know how to approach this that won't leave at least part of the population feeling pissed off or ignored , can't please all of the people all of the time and all that.
Seeing as this post mentioned knives and other bladed tools such as axes I'd like to say I'm more of an axe person than a knife one. I do carry my SAK but feel more comfortable using an axe than a large knife . Probably comes from being a site joiner for over 30 years where a lot of work was done with an axe. Shaping , defrrazzing and scribing for instance and I've even eased a door with one and an axe doesn't have to be swung . It's possible to use an axe for really quite delicate jobs too.

That’s the thing......licenses won’t stop crime...but something put in place for the sensible users like a license or just a permit to carry when out in the wilderness so to speak. This would give us peace of mind in use.

Ref.. the fine work with axes you mentioned. I would love to have this skill.....I’m always watching on YouTube how it’s done. Takes great skill mate

I mentioned that I had eased doors in the past on a more trade based forum only to be asked if I had worked on Dracula's castle ...

Well I've worked at some places owned by some who have been described as bloodsuckers....

Hi Baytree.

Same as you I am leaning more towards a small hatchet for work around camp.....carving.....prepping food etc even gutting and cleaning game.
There is not a lot that cant be done with a small hatchet in place of a knife........heavier to carry maybe.

Talking of knives instead of buying a pointed one go for a blunt one instead.....the Police may take a different view of the potential to cause harm??

Back