• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Lightweight ?

Brilliant thread here guys. Am going to have to run back through and take some meticulous notes! Just as an extra to throw in to the mix, I'm just back from a week in the lakes with a guy who did a lot of adventure running, and one of his weight saving tricks was cutting the lid off his rucksack and popping a couple of drainage holes in the bottom. Everything then went in super light drybags.
Bloody hell that's extreme measures to cut weight o_O The brain unbuckles off my Osprey atmos AG 65 pack, i don't think i'd go to them extremes :( I'm just a leisurely hiker and wildcamper :whistle::p:rofl:

Yeah, I'm the same big G. It's probably just laziness but I'll tell myself that the spare shoes and the 400 page hardback book just mean I'll be training harder

Yeah, I'm the same big G. It's probably just laziness but I'll tell myself that the spare shoes and the 400 page hardback book just mean I'll be training harder
Same here mate, i need to lose a bit more weight anyway, it will help with that.

Before anyone say's about calorie counting and frying food on wildcamps, i eat very sensibly at home, i'm allowed a few treats when out :D

My biggest regret regarding choice of treats was whilst wild camping in the Peak District, and choosing to lug 3 bottles of leffe for the evening chill time. Rather silly in retrospect. Friends brought tummies obviously!!

You have to take a few treats out with you, it's not a bloody survival adventure, well not for me anyway!

Platypus make a bladder that you decant a bottle of wine into with the ability to draw the air out to prevent it spoiling.

Platypus make a bladder that you decant a bottle of wine into with the ability to draw the air out to prevent it spoiling.

See, now info like that is dangerous :D I do like to decant a bottle of 'something' for a tipple mostly goes into my patrol water bottle.

Think I have solved the problem of saving weight.
Don't go chopping bits off of kit....or leaving luxuries at home:confused:

Buy one of these:thumbsup:

upload_2017-6-21_6-42-38.jpeg

Of course, they too have their limitationsions..........this was a picture taken of @Hagrid food, taken for the weekend:alert::alert::alert:

Just out of shot is another Donkey carrying his other kit:whistle::D

Jon,
On all the decent sized rucksacks/bergens I've seen the top flap has the top buckles sewn onto them, so making the top flap a structural item; this means that you will be relying on the top draw cord to hold the whole thing together - not very robust.

WP_20170915_19_54_39_Pro.jpg WP_20170915_19_53_22_Pro.jpg WP_20170915_19_56_16_Pro.jpg WP_20170915_20_00_47_Pro.jpg
Do You know this pott?
Toaks Titanium 750 ml billy can. It's a racing horse and not a stupid zebra! 120 g (or something around)
40 €

Do you know the Snugpack Special Forces Sleeping Bag System? (And the bivi bag of 340g? It is military NATO stuff too, but 460 g lighter than the Mod bivi !)

Do you know that Decathlon offers for only 40 € a 50 liters Hunting rucksack of only 1000 g in olive green?

If You tell me everything about your DD ultra light Tarp,
I will think about to continue this list.

Is that a good deal, or isn't it ???

Been on the lookout for a small lightweight stove and Titanium mug for the back of the Disco to use while out hunting and in the woods......or on the beach fishing.
So both the Alpkit 650 mug and the Kraku stove are going on my Christmas list.........never know.....I may get lucky
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

Someone did a review of a small lightweight stove on here; I've got a version of that which fits into the 650 mug with a 100g gas canister and some brew kit.

Been on the lookout for a small lightweight stove and Titanium mug for the back of the Disco to use while out hunting and in the woods......or on the beach fishing.
So both the Alpkit 650 mug and the Kraku stove are going on my Christmas list.........never know.....I may get lucky
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:
Bill, haven't you give a thought to the little Ti BRS gas stove, i bought and reviewed for the forum a while ago... Cracking little stove and a fraction of the price of the alpkit one ;)

Back