• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New with a few questions?

Together we have written here the thread
"How light is lightweight?".

(Perhaps someone else is able to set the link below here, so that you can find it easily.)

There I gave some examples how it's possible to reduce weight and volume of the packed rucksack.
I wrote there mainly to inform strong students, paying attention, that the prices do not climb to high.

If people are able to invest a bit more money, it's possible to use even lighter equipment in the summer.

Now a days it is easily possible to get a modern summer hiking equipment in a 30 litres ruck sack with a total weight of round about 4 kg. (plus water and food).

If you like, you can read that threat first, but later I can recommend you more items for such an incredible light equipment, that fits exactly to your measures and planed hikes.

There are one person tents of round about 400g on the market, one person pots of around 100g, gas stoves of 25g, sleeping bags with a weight of 600g and so on.

Experienced people who are able to pay a bit more, now a days can use incredible light equipment.

What they use in the NASA is nothing against modern hiking equipment!

If you are interested in this, I offer you to help you with things like this, I am not so bad informed about modern stuff.

But I learned with old stuff from the eighties, Wehrmacht and even older, so I can imagine, where you come from.
That is a very generous offer Erbs and for that I thank you on behalf of the forum

Wild camping is illegal in UK .
Tolerated in Some of the national park areas, see guidance on their relevant websites.
In U.K. you should have land owners permission ( if you can locate to ask !)

When I wild camp and if I’m unable to obtain permission I arrive late , leave early , keep a low profile , don’t deface trees, safe use of fire ( if appropriate) don’t stay in one location more than one night , take out what you took in , be polite if challenged .

Those are my general rules but I’m sure others will be along with more shortly .

A further good idea is to pick an area where you are unlikely to meet the land owner !
Wild camping is legal in most parts of Scotland on unenclosed land although, unfortunately, it has been abused with people leaving rubbish and yes, even tents behind. Having said that, l would ask permission if l wasn't too far out of the way.

Wild camping is legal in most parts of Scotland on unenclosed land although, unfortunately, it has been abused with people leaving rubbish and yes, even tents behind. Having said that, l would ask permission if l wasn't too far out of the way.

Cuncurs with the concensus that politeness and good outdoor practice is the way forward .

Hello agree with all the comments..... Apart from the one you look like an idiot if you wear camoflauge clothing, if your on a budget and you need good tough gear you can't beat it, and if you burn holes in the clothing or tear, no great loss its cheap..... As long as you are pleasant with folk you meet who cares what you wear.

Hello agree with all the comments..... Apart from the one you look like an idiot if you wear camoflauge clothing, if your on a budget and you need good tough gear you can't beat it, and if you burn holes in the clothing or tear, no great loss its cheap..... As long as you are pleasant with folk you meet who cares what you wear.
It's true that military surplus clothing is cheap and ideal for wearing in the great outdoors but I for one have noticed a massive difference in how I'm treated by others when wearing my '95 DPM jacket instead of my normal outdoor clothing.
First impressions really do count, even more so when you're asking someone for something.

It's true that military surplus clothing is cheap and ideal for wearing in the great outdoors but I for one have noticed a massive difference in how I'm treated by others when wearing my '95 DPM jacket instead of my normal outdoor clothing.
First impressions really do count, even more so when you're asking someone for something.
I wore camo for 24 years because I had to, now lets look at two different animals, the tiger and the zebra, outlandish colours that should be spotted from miles away but both have the ability to disappear . I just wear drab greys greens and blacks and I can be unobtrusive yet approachable

Yes, OK.
I own camouflage clothing too. The german woodland pattern blends perfectly in our nature, and because some years ago they changed from an army for everybody to a professional army the equipment is still very very cheap and the quality is very good.

But: I use it where I am well known, most times on own ground and around it.

In foreign areas I recommend a civil combination, for example brown trousers, dark grey jumper, oliv shirt and jacket, brown cap or somehow mixed like this.

But ok, if you wear a civil wool jumper you can wear camo trousers with it, staying civil.

Tough waterproofs in military quality Gore-Tex 3 layers fabric are up to ten times more expensive than a used Bundeswehr rain suit in good conditions. So I own light civil waterproofs and the Bundeswehr rain suit.
Usually I am alone in the forest if it rains.

Old Swedish and new Austrian field uniforms look very civil by the way. "Army Warehouse" sells the used Austrian stuff very cheap.
That stuff is oliv, not camouflage.

Decathlon Solognac hunting clothing are good and cheap too, by the way.
Polyester cotton mix trousers "Steppe 300" for 17€ for example are nearly at the quality level of NATO trousers.

I dont want to make a religion from this. But yes, the first impression is important.

But if I would find on our land in the one corner some guis with camouflage clothing and in the other people with orange tent, yellow jackets and bright blue trousers...

May be I would let the parrots in theyr corner, but surely I would go with the beer to the green ones!

Back