• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

OUT FISHING

Well, the bits and bobs I ordered have arrived for the Flounder on Fly mission :D

Ordered some 5ft poly leaders (fast sinking)........some 12lb fluorocarbon tippet.......and something I have never tried before "Hildebarandt Flicker Spinners" size 0 1/40 oz.
Added the backing and line to the reel........gave the line a good stretch beforehand and added a wipe of line slick.
Might invest in a new pair of chest waders.....old ones are long gone :(

The waters in the Estuary are like chocolate at the moment.......not that that matters as the Flounder will still find the flies.........just more chance in the clearer water..........and you feel better being there and seeing the followers.....IF there are any :whistle::rofl:

A lot of Mackerel off of the Docks last year apparently so will target them with the fly gear too......had plenty on the fly from the kayak and they fight really well for their size..........if only they grew to 5lb around our shores:D

The rock platforms will get some attention too.........small Pollock and Wrasse being the target :thumbsup:

Hi Bop :thumbsup:

I have only ever caught ONE Grey Mullet......but it was a Golden Grey just over 2lb :thumbsup: and that was by accident on a float rig from a Breakwater..........went like a steam train for such a small fish :D

They are known for being a strong fighting fish on light tackle or fly......light to medium action rod would be good.
Notably very shy/nervous fish and a challenge to catch around estuary weed beds and flats.
They love to tuck up around structures in shoals and you see a lot in the harbours too.

Could be another choice of species for the fly rod:thumbsup:

Ground baiting your area would be a good idea to bring them to you and get them feeding.

Go get them Bop let us know how you get on mate......and good luck :thumbsup:

Hi Bop :thumbsup:

I have only ever caught ONE Grey Mullet......but it was a Golden Grey just over 2lb :thumbsup: and that was by accident on a float rig from a Breakwater..........went like a steam train for such a small fish :D

They are known for being a strong fighting fish on light tackle or fly......light to medium action rod would be good.
Notably very shy/nervous fish and a challenge to catch around estuary weed beds and flats.
They love to tuck up around structures in shoals and you see a lot in the harbours too.

Could be another choice of species for the fly rod:thumbsup:

Ground baiting your area would be a good idea to bring them to you.

Go get them Bop let us know how you get on mate......and good luck :thumbsup:
In Malta they catch them on bread and continuously feed in bread slurry. They seem to prefer fishing with the pole

Some different methods out there Joe :thumbsup:

In Spain, they will take a 3-inch section of a baguette and wrap a line around it that holds 8 to10 hooks.......not very sporting though:D
They do catch a few....but there is little finesse:(

They can be very difficult to hook Al

Very soft mouthed if I remember my readings for eons ago ;) Had to go google and found that they're spreading, as I thought they were a Southern waters fish but .........................

"In terms of UK distribution mullet can be found throughout most of the British Isles, but are definitely more common in the south and west than in the north. However, there is evidence that the range of mullet is spreading, and they are becoming increasingly common around the northern parts of the British Isles "

Might have to investigate, @Madriverrob any sign of them over by you ?

We use to fish at torness power station a few years ago. Of the rocks for bass you could see then just past the breakers cracking fishing. When the hot water was running out the outlets the mullet would swim up in the hundreds mainly small. Couldn’t catch them for love nor money. Tried tho lol

I think the soft mouth thing is a bit of a myth, to be honest Bop.
It's good to hear the stocks are healthy and spreading........great sport fishing.

Have you got a set to use Bop.....what will you be using or sorting out for the job mate?

We use to fish at torness power station a few years ago. Of the rocks for bass you could see then just past the breakers cracking fishing. When the hot water was running out the outlets the mullet would swim up in the hundreds mainly small. Couldn’t catch them for love nor money. Tried tho lol

Hi Mark.

I think bait/fly presentation plays a huge part in connecting with one........very skittish fosh ye ken :D

I think the soft mouth thing is a bit of a myth, to be honest Bop.
It's good to hear the stocks are healthy and spreading........great sport fishing.

Have you got a set to use Bop.....what will you be using or sorting out for the job mate?

I have some very basic kit that I was using to take my Dad out a couple of years back, not sure if it'll be up for the job, I'll have to look at getting something together as I would like to do a lot more coastal camps with @Madriverrob and @Big G ( if he surfaces again..... GARY ;) ) and do a spot of foraging / fishing :)

Thought I would share a few of the flys, I'm, going to use for the Flounder and maybe the Mullet too after talking to Bop.

DSC03139.JPG

Forgotten some of the names.....it's been a while :D

From the top.

Weighted Orange and Black Clouser....tied by me.

Sparse Minnow pattern.....tied by me.

Allys Shrimp......shop bought.

Salmon fly.....shop bought.

Weighted Minnow pattern..........tied by me.

Bread fly.....shop bought.

Be a good selection to start off with I think.....will try different patterns as I move forward and get an idea of what works best.:thumbsup:

Thought I would share a few of the flys, Im, going to use for the Flounder and maybe the Mullet too after talking to Bop.

View attachment 13527

Forgotten some of the names.....it's been a while :D

From the top.

Weighted Orange and Blck Clouser....tied by me.

Minnow pattern.....tied by me.

Allys Shrimp......shop bought.

Salmon fly.....shop bought.

Weighted Minnow pattern..........tied by me.

Bread fly.....shop bought.

Be a good selection to start off with I think.....will tr different patterns as I move forward and get an idea of what works best.:thumbsup:

Impressive bill. somthing I would like to try is fly tying. Made a few dear hair biscuits for carp (never worked lol) made them lock side so a little ruff lol.

Tying flys used to be a winter pass time Mark.....a good vice and light.......coffee by your side.....relaxing.
Still got a fair bit of tying material up in the shed.......may have to start again :thumbsup:

Gaff hooks work:thumbsdown::rofl:

Well I guy I used to know regularly paid out good money to fish some nice Scottish rivers, if it looked like drawing a blank fishing legit he would tie a ledger onto the bottom of his line with a couple of trebles up the length, cast in, take up the slack and watch the line for the Salmon / Sea Trout bumping it then just strike and foul hook the fish :(

Back