• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Pocket knife for outdoor.

I can't for the life of me think why anyone would object and get all arsey for being searched.....reasonable grounds or not.
If you have nothing to hide apart from a small pocket knife you don't have much to worry about anyway.

Not ALL police are Aholes.......its the chance we take :)

It’s not about being arsey , it’s about police officers following the law , not having reasonable grounds is not following the law and is illegal even for our police . It becomes an illegal search .

Being stopped for wearing a camo jacket and having a surplus rucksack could be deemed as targeting , a bit like being stopped and search for wearing a hoody and Nike Air max trainers !

The police are there to protect law abiding citizens from criminals , they are required to differentiate not treat everyone as a suspect without reasonable grounds .

The police are there to protect law abiding citizens from criminals , they are required to differentiate not treat everyone as a suspect without reasonable grounds .

Rob.....how do they differentiate.............a person does not have to be wearing Camo and unshaven to be a wrong un...........he could be wearing a suit and tie and be the worst nightmare walking the streets.
Some off the cuff searches may be the result of a crime carried out in the vicinity at the time.

Like I said....if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear........and be glad to oblige.

Different folks different strokes I suppose.

They have a hard enough job as it is........trying to protect us.

I guess they will not stop every hiker.

Britain isn't the GDR or Sowjet Union.

In France the Opinel knifes aren't allowed any more, but it's an old tradition to carry them an they are sold every where, for children with locking ring and round tip in bright colours too. Every corner you get them!

If you don't make stress in the middle of Marseille, nobody will search in France for your pocket knife.
I think, in Britain it should be the same.

Try telling that to the parents of a child that has been stabbed at school or in the street........and died from the wounds.
Random people being attacked for no reason while waiting for a train or enjoying a night out in a club.
When they stop and search they are looking for drugs.....terrorist bombs......other weapons not just a poxy pocket knife from some bloke off to the woods.
It is a far bigger picture and problem..........we as individuals just maybe unlucky enough to be searched.........it happens.

Its then you will hear the cries of.....well, where were the Police?

I've been on the wrong side of a stop and search that was just a fat Scouse Sergeant who was trying to show off in front of young WPC. He pulled my van over a nd demanded to search it. I asked why and he tried to bullshit me saying a vehicle matching this description had been reported stolen, this really got my back up. it wasn't even a convincing lie and I told him so....

At the end of the day the law is the law and honestly who among us really need to carry anything other than a 3 inch non locking knife in our pocket
I absolutely agree Joe, there are already plenty of opportunities for PC Keen to make your life difficult without making it easy for him.

Currently my new back pack is sitting on my garage. It has 3 axes, two axe heads, a Japanese boot knife and the Mora. I've gotten into axe throwing recently, but also love collecting old axes. I hope to visit a club where I'm told they also throw axes along with knives, wonder what plod would say if they stopped me walking to the club? Terrorist.>>>>>>>>arrest that 67 year old man with the limp.:eek:

I've got a smally AAA torch on a 2 inch lanyard attached to my pocket SAK (most folk are familiar with SAK's), while its legal anyway, I hope this makes it look a bit more 'fluffy'. The law is pretty clear on it,

Selling, buying and carrying knives

The 'good reason' is down to the Officer, but what I would say is if I thought I had a genuinely good reason to carry a bigger blade (like having a rucksack full of camping gear with a knife in it) I would refuse the Caution and let them charge me, fully expecting it to not make Court or if it did, argue that the tool(s) were for bushcrafty stuff. Assuming I was goig to or from a trip away and not blagging it.

As already said, if you're a slightly more 'mature' gent then you'll probably get cut more slack, same as if your sharps are stuck in a bag out the way. Brandishing pointy things about and using 'bushcraft' as an excuse when you're clad in camo probably isn't going to cut it. Know the law and know that it can be a bit 'rubber' and play it by ear. Its like the 'exposing yourself in public' thing, technically whipping out the 'wee bam' in the middle of nowhere is exposing myself but its all about the context. If Hamish MacBeth was hell bent on lifting me for it it would be no different to pissing down a side street on a friday night but its all about context.

In one of his last videos Paul Kirtley said - so far I understood it well - that in his opinion bushcraft is a good reason to carry a knife to a forest.

His opinion was that in relation to that would be needed land owners permission.

That sounds sensible to me.

Normally that guy is well informed and most things he tells are well thought through.

Quite right Erbswurst, the laws on possession of a knife only apply in a public place (but the laws against brandishing a knife can also be applied on private property because it implies a threat of violence)
If you have the landowners permission to carry a knife (or even a firearm) there is little the police can do unless you actually threaten someone, though the issues still arise when you're taking the knife to and from that place.

More of my trademark spirals
20200403_213521.jpg

Is that Dremel fixed to the disc? Sir, I going to have to arrest you for..............

I've said it so many times, as kids, everyone had a pocket knife or a sheath knife and a home made catapult. You weren't dressed without it..........sad and strange days indeed

Nice stuff, JoeCole!

Is that Dremel fixed to the disc? Sir, I going to have to arrest you for..............

I've said it so many times, as kids, everyone had a pocket knife or a sheath knife and a home made catapult. You weren't dressed without it..........sad and strange days indeed

Nice stuff, JoeCole!
Thanks lol, the Dremel is fixed to a power cord and as such requires this thing called electricity and I might say a steady hand, still a long way to go with that carving

Back