• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Snugpak stratosphere

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
Am on the look for a new sleeping system:D after spending a few nights here and there in a hammock a was thinking on trying the ground for a change, I came across the snugpak stratosphere and it it looks right up my ally......has anyone had one ? All advice welcome :thumbsup:

No idea on that system mate but I put down a cheap 1 quid tarp, then a cheap reflective (car windscreen) sheet then a 20 quid Inflatable mat. If needed I'll use my bivvy bag and whatever sleeping bag I'm using. Had the hoofing big one last night but I probably didn't need it. Another option is something like the softie suit, it's a breeks and jacket 2 season (at a guess) outfit that you can wear in whatever system you're using.

A should have popped up and seen your system mate.... that huff wee done in (wasn’t really that far ) and the gear I took is making me re-think a few things lol. a like being closed off when I sleep so the stratosphere is appealing to me. Still am willing to try out a few systems lol. Plus am looking to extend to a few nights out next year. So it’s a few more shiny shiny’s. Was looking at the meth’s burners to but am staying with the fire for now (creature of habit) or determination or just stupidity :lol:. Will be making fire biscuits tho.

Always next time mate. I keep it pretty simple and the big difference is the air mat although as I was on a slope last night it banana skinned away at some point.

As for the cooking, whatever works bro, loads of options.

Just been watching a You Tube review on this...… and I thought that looks neat...….but then as I was watching, and don't shoot me down if I've missed the point somewhere........but the French Army(cotton) pup tent is about 1/5th the price, ALMOST as small packed, and has room for your kit under cover as well??o_O

I've always thought of my F1 as a glorified bivvy anyway....................

Just watching a vid of that set up, you've already got a tarp and a sleeping bag, why spunk the cash when you have the basic bits of cover and toastiness.

Am on the look for a new sleeping system:D after spending a few nights here and there in a hammock a was thinking on trying the ground for a change, I came across the snugpak stratosphere and it it looks right up my ally......has anyone had one ? All advice welcome :thumbsup:

Hi Mark.

The "Snugpack Ionosphere" looks like a useful bit of kit in the same kind of vein and similar design......but more of a tent.....more freedom.
Its only a 3 season shelter.....but with the use of your tarp as well in the Winter weather to block out the wind would help.
Lightweight and compact.......and plenty of space for a matt of some sorts on the floor......easy pitch and pack.
Get the tarp up first if it's raining/snowing and pitch under cover.
Able to store your boots inside as well as other kit.
One of the gripes (there are always a few no matter what) is that there is no mesh pouch to store a light :rolleyes:
Would not take much to stitch one on.

Just a thought mate.....well you did ask :whistle: :) :D

@1 shot willie
A like the look of that bill:thumbsup: am being an indecisive bugger at the moment lol.....can’t make my mind up what I want:thumbsdown:.... the lad in the video is pretty precise and sells it well. A think your right tho... the tarp above it would help a lot and with the size of the lonosphere would give me a sizeable admin area...also like the idea of warmer weather I can leave the top sheet of. Still at that price it’s not to far away from the gobi 3:lol: a will get there in the end:lol:

I also like the Hammock :rofl: another decision! Do I beef up the hammock and stick with it or do I try the ground dwelling lol..

If you're going to try ground dwelling, why not start with something real cheap first?

Pic 1 -polish lavvu-cheapish (prices climbing stupidly) £70 with optional "admin" area on current prices? (£50 ish otherwise)
Pros: fairly cheap, amazingly versatile, absolutely bombproof, totally effective.
Cons: a bit weighty/bulky for size if back packing
Pic 2 -french f1 pup tent in cotton- dirt cheap, about £30-£40 on current prices, can add a cheap tarp too for admin?
Pros: dirt cheap and effective. compact and fairly light (cotton versions only, polyester ones leak)
Cons: can't really think of any in this context? (don't bother with polyester version)

If you don't like ground dwelling then no expense (will sell readily) wasted? And if you do....same!! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• lavvu stour (2).JPG
    lavvu stour (2).JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 150
  • pup 2 (2).jpg
    pup 2 (2).jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
To save pack weight next time I think I'll go ground dwelling if I have a bit of a walk in. Without the hammock and under-blanket I'd save 2.6kg. Though I might be tempted to go bigger on the tarp to provide more shelter.

Ever bright and speedy as I am....I've just noticed your U toob link :eek: :rofl: ….yay! WOW!!! and subscribed.....going to have a good long look see!!!

Mark, for the next catch up I can bring the lavvu and you can have a nose if you like.

Reactions: lol
@1 shot willie
A like the look of that bill:thumbsup: am being an indecisive bugger at the moment lol.....can’t make my mind up what I want:thumbsdown:.... the lad in the video is pretty precise and sells it well. A think your right tho... the tarp above it would help a lot and with the size of the lonosphere would give me a sizeable admin area...also like the idea of warmer weather I can leave the top sheet of. Still at that price it’s not to far away from the gobi 3:lol: a will get there in the end:lol:

I also like the Hammock :rofl: another decision! Do I beef up the hammock and stick with it or do I try the ground dwelling lol..

Aghh sorry mate..... I thought you had set your heart on a bivi of sorts.
Keep looking mate you will find the right set up in the end.

Aghh sorry mate..... I thought you had set your heart on a bivi of sorts.
Keep looking mate you will find the right set up in the end.

It’s all good mate am open to suggestions
A think it will be trial and error buddy. A do like that one over the stratosphere tho.

Back