• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Survival rifle

As a concept its not new , but doesn't mean it makes it wrong.

The multiple calibres and ammuniton options make it a good one choice trail gun for increasing options on the trail whilst hunting , fur or feather would both be capable of being taken at different speeds and distances.

if I was going for a post SHTF firearm(as opposed to an air rifle which I already have) i'd go for a decent all round shotgun, wouldnt mind one of those pump action jobbies.

The shotgun is probably the best choice if you have access to make bird,buck & slug shot ( for taking small game , larger game and anti Two legged preds ) for putting regular food on the plate and its a good defensive firearm - its ammunition is heavy and bulky but for hunting purposes adequate.

If ya gonna get a shotgun go for one with interchangeable chokes and an over and under rather than a side by side side by side is a bit limited a pump action shotgun is good if your in battle but sporting too heavy my Baikal is over and under and I've put various types of shot through it the most devastating being a deer round the most gentle being dust shot

Not sure what the advantage is over over under vs side by side. Most clay guns are O/U because it has a single sight line down the centre of both barrels and they are stronger to cope with the large number of cartridges that may be fired in a session but they are also heavier if you are carrying it around all day (which isn't an issue on the clay range).

Side by sides have been used to massive effect from walk up rough shooting where I've fired five cartridges in a day to matched purveys that will have fired 100s, ive also been clay shooting with a traditional English side by side.

I'd agree that a pump action will be heavier but you may be willing to tolerate the weight if you saw it as a defensive weapon as well as a hunting tool. If I was considering a pump then I'd actually consider a semi auto and be happy to clean it.

Ive played quite a bit with Semi Autos , Mag fed , and pumps - over time I've come to the conclusion that Pumps seem to work best ( caveat !! ) for me as each time I pump ( during Practical Shotgun ) I reset my sighting aperture and realign my target - less chance for me to come off target by a Strong semi pushing my sighting off. They are quick however.

If we are talking post fall - I'd want something to take a range of easily scavenged ammunition and run it without fault or necessary tinkering to get it to not jam or foul - again for me that is Pump.

IMO,

Given true free choice the Benelli m4 semi, used it on the ranges but not personally on ops. Designed to self regulate and run on different power and size cartridges without any adjustment. Has the option of working as a pump if you prefer it or it doesn't cycle for some reason.

Available for civilian use in uk in SG licence and FAC varieties.

To be honest its probably more important to get an idea of what a Shottie is capable of doing and not doing and you can do that with a cheap ass gun ( £50 - £100 ) , when you get into it you can try other peoples guns and as they 'trade' up you could get yourself something nicer as budget allows.

Even although I have a FAC pump and could get a Mag fed or Semi Auto - I find I'm still coveting this little beasty.

Even although I have a FAC pump and could get a Mag fed or Semi Auto - I find I'm still coveting this little beasty.

I prefer these to the 5 shots ( are they still illegal here?)
less parts to go wrong

Interesting guns.

I think the good old moderated 22LR takes a bit of beating.
Light ammunition and quite cheap....you can carry a lot of it.......quiet.......and has a good effective range for hunting.

Interesting guns.

I think the good old moderated 22LR takes a bit of beating.
Light ammunition and quite cheap....you can carry a lot of it.......quiet.......and has a good effective range for hunting.

I concur for small game , I have a moderated Anschutz that is an absolute tack driver - small , light , punches well above it weight.

Which surely takes us back to the original post, .22rf and 410 in one compact system ideal for hunting a variety of small game.

As long as it well made and reliable in accuracy most probably yes - a good trail gun.

Back