• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

We bought woodland!

Interesting idea 38, although the horsebox will only ever be storage, shelter and probably a porta potty type loo.......you will all have to wait to see the sleeping arrangements.......under construction too........I have far too many projects on the go, including electric guitars from parts.....which is another addiction!....

Too many orojects, not enough time!

We really like Georges Amazing spaces, some fantastic ideas and builds.....

The beach hut made use of six or eight cubes that could be used to make a desk, sofa, chairs around a hinge down table or a small double bed. Being hollow they also doubled up as large amounts of storage and I'm sure one could contain the porta potty.

A pull out awning over the sun (rain) deck made by the door then doubles your space.

Another option would be a slatted pull out sofa with storage underneath. Pinterest has loads of options plus wiring layouts for lewisite batteries.

The solar stuff could be self co rained but your box would elevate the panels off the floor and provide a wealth proof shelter for the gubins.

Yes probably, anchor points might he an issue, but it smells of Hoss Piss at present!

Or leave a big bowl of vinegar in there. Great for getting rid of the smell of cat piss so I expect it'd work with that of horses too :)

Well, its been a while, too long!.......Ms nb57 has Pneumonia and Sepsis, spent 7 days in Intensive Care and a further 4 days in Coronary Care, it was a very close call, I nearly had to buy a suit! (and remodel the patio!!)
Anyroadup, we have been back to the woods which had done what woods do, which was to grow a bit....the access lane however is grass and it did what grass does...grow and grow high 2/3 feet high, so first order of the day was to make er indoors comfy in the 90 with a book and fire up the brush cutter, each visit I kept going until the tank was empty, then did something else, four visits and it was done.....its a great feelong looking back at the neatly strimmed track.......so, that done it was time to move the horsebox shed, dunno if I mentioned that we tried to move it in the Autumn and got the whole plot stuck on the hill, sliding sideways onto the hedgeline, there was much cursing and we had to unhitch the horsebox and leave it there and just managed to find enough grip to get the 90 out.....we returned a few days later and lowered the horsebox back down the hill on its handbrake.....that was fun!

Now its nice and dry we cleared access and the route and successfully got it located....Base Camp where the horsebox is hidden is now the priority.........a couple of trees need to come out and some nettles have been Roundupped, the aim is to create a grassy clearing with a Firepit, hammocks etc......
My little lawn tractor assisted in final positioning with the pink one at the helm!

We are off to the woods this morning, so Ill take some photos, wish me luck!

We are having to use insect repellent as the horseflies are viscious! I got bitten to buggery on the first visit, bloody hell it's pricey, works well though...any alternative suggestions, weve never noticed them before so Im guessing its a time of year thing?

Hi Paul and Ms 57 :)

Sorry to hear your good lady was very poorly.........and hope she has made a full recovery........." nearly had to buy a new suit" :rofl::rofl:.....you wicked sod! :D
Look forward to seeing some more pictures Paul.:thumbsup:

Nice to see you about again.:)

I hope your other half continues to improve Paul, the project in the woods sounds like a great way to get out into the open....I also sympathise about the horse flys.....I'm sure they see me as some kind of delicacy.

May be worth looking at George Clarke s amazing spaces on E4, there was an excellent multi-purpose beach hut that also couldn’t be a “permanent residence” plus some interesting horse box conversions.

Photos....
The Woodland is long amd quite narrow, on tje left is the woods to the right is the provate access track that I had to brushcut, on the brow is where we got stuck with the horsebox.....

image.jpeg

View from the next brow, the first dark shady spot on the left in the entry to base camp

image.jpeg

On the other side of the woods from where the first photo was taken is a public right of way up the centre of this lane our woods boundary is on the left of this lane, just missed a Woodpecker as I took this shot.....

image.jpeg

Back