• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland Week in the Highlands - Feb 2018 (Pictures and write ups)

Excellent write-up Matt....... what a trip!!
Glad the Disco made it in the end.....did you proud.:thumbsup:
A few hiccups and kit failures but I think we have all had them at some point :D
You all had some proper nasty weather to deal with.

14 wrings of the cloth.....she said :eek::rofl::rofl:

Like the bit........"Miles for Smiles" :thumbsup:

THE FOLLOWING TRANSCRIPT NEEDS TO BE TAKEN WITH A LARGE PINCH OF SALT, A SPRINKLING OF PEPPER & A WHISKEY CHASER IT THAT'S YOUR THING ! :D

Part One: ONWARDS MY GOOD MAN !

I awoke at 6 a.m on the Saturday brimming with excitement as departure day was nearly upon us. After concluding my domestic :rolleyes: duties in the morning thoughts quickly turned to the final kit check in anticipation for the off on Sunday morning. Evening meal consisted of pizza & coleslaw before retiring at 19:00 with the intention of getting 5 hours kip before my expedition chauffeur arrived :cool:. Well what a waste of time that was as I just laid awake like a 6 year old on Christmas Eve. By 23:00 I was up & on the forum with a cup of tea for company. Strangely enough so was Matt. We decided to bring the pick-up time forward & I was waiting outside when he arrived. Kit packed & off we went to Taunton to pick up Hagrid & Hatchet. I packed customary bags of pic-n-mix for ourselves & our passengers because on long distance journeys " IT IS THE LAW " ! :D. Once the trailer had been brimmed at Taunton off we drove into the night destination Carlisle. We stopped several times on the way up to give the overworked Landy a drink before arriving at our meeting point where we were greeted by Ryan's Clan ! :thumbsup:. After a swift burger & coffee top-up we set off for Scotters ! Soon after we had an issue with one of the heater pipes which had inconveniently decided to make like a banana & split ! :rofl: Step forward the hero of the hour MATT CHEW who quickly bodged the hose in order for us to scarper off on the rest of our trip. Ryan was contacted & told to forge ahead as we felt it unfair for us to hold him up. We had to stop again almost within touching distance of Glasgow & at that point Matt turned to me to utter the immortal words " I THINK THAT'S US DONE MATE, I MAY HAVE TO CALL RECOVERY MAN " ! :(. But the intrepid Landy was having none of it & she soldiered on like a dismembered knight in a Monty Python film all the way to CAMP ORCHY ! :thumbsup:

Tune in tomorrow for another exciting episode of WEEK IN THE HIGHLANDS FEB 2018 - SAME BAT TIME, SAME BAT CHANNEL ! :D

:rofl::rofl: Great read "Kneef".................look forward to the next installment:thumbsup:

The Disco did very well under the circumstances.........bless it:thumbsup:

As promised here is Part Two:

CAMP ORCHY !

After a brief stop at The Green Welly in order to change into our bushy clothes we headed up the road (In a snow flurry) to the pine forest at The Bridge Of Orchy. We walked up to the top of the camp where Paul & Ryan's Clan were set up, said our hello's & then went off to find suitable camping spots a bit lower down. Surprisingly I managed to get set-up with the minimal of assistance before feng-shuing the hell out of my camp area. ;) Meanwhile Matt, John & Elliot got on with sorting out their homes from home. :thumbsup: However, it soon became apparent that having not slept for over 24 hours that things were starting to go downhill for me & I basically had " Hit the wall " ! :( I was feeling very tired, hungry, thirsty & mentally drained all of a sudden & Matt recognised this straight away despite the fact that he too had been awake for the same length of time as me & he had driven the Landy all the way. :thumbsup: On his advice (Again) I made up some porridge, had a drink & hit the sack. It was only around 19:00 hrs but the forest was dark & I was done for !

We awoke to a decent accumulation of snow & set-off on a nice long walk to take in the scenery, get some pictures for you lot & to warm ourselves up. These walks became a daily & sometimes twice daily part of our camp routine (No not that kind of CAMP Bill ! :whistle:) & I really enjoyed them. :thumbsup: As has been mentioned the days at Orchy flew by & we kept ourselves busy whilst Elliot sourced & chopped wood for Scotland, England, Ireland & Wales (Well done lad for looking after your Dad too !) ;). It was great to finally encounter Mark Wilson as he & I seem to get on really well in the banter stakes on the forum & he was just the same in the flesh except for being a bit bigger & uglier than I had imagined ! ;) He brought with him a tidy stash of local fayre & some much needed cow juice but sadly due to work commitments he could only stay with us for a short time ! :( Matt & I decided to see him off the premises to make sure that he had indeed " Buggered Off Home " ! :D. Mark opened the boot of his car to stow away his day-pack & we couldn't help noticing his pink tricycle which he apparently uses to get to his destination when his non 4x4 vehicle lets him down. Each to his own buddy but I would have steered clear of the luminous pink paint-job if it was me ! (Just sayin ye ken :rofl:).

Our last night in the forest was a fairly eventful one for me at least as I lost several hours more sleep due to the high winds that caused the trees to knock against one another & there was a lot of creaking & groaning going on but I think that was Matt :D. I put my head-torch on & went to do a perimeter check before going back to bed. In the morning I was ticked off by John & Elliot for blinding them as they tried to sleep. Sorry guys but I was a tad concerned that something was going to fall on me & I admit that I should have used the less intrusive red setting. Lesson learned ! :thumbsup:

We awoke early in order to commence packing away in preparation for the next stage of our adventure & also because I am notoriously slow at breaking camp. We then assembled in the parking area before we set off for pastures new ! :thumbsup:

Follow us in the next exciting installment: AVIEMORE OR BUST ! :)

Top man kneef :D enjoyed reading that yi ken:thumbsup:

Just for you kneef
6383EB00-9464-43F7-8E64-A16DE9AE5025.jpeg

Its Hard to believe we have been back a week :(....was thinking while i was sorting the last few bits of kit away that i possibly had a year to wait before the next big trip north :eek:.....or maybe not :cool:

Back