• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Window Bars

swamp rat

Extremely Talkative
been busy this week add a bit of home security ,just thought I would share a few ideas
the windows are pretty simple but I sent a long time think how to beef my pvc doors up ,as most people
now it is quite easy to kick the bottom panel out
and I did not really want make and fit a full cage door to the out side, but this idea has worked out really good
IMG_20170919_194827584.jpg
IMG_20170919_195740127.jpg
IMG_20170919_195813959.jpg

yes I have used the same design as the doors on one of the windows upstairs

I'd be interested to know what area you live in just so I can look up the crime stats.

Also could you ( or do you wish to ) take some phots of the outside of your property ( front and back ) so we can over view and make suggestions to making it less appealing to criminals??

Just an idea.

yes sure ,there are only 7 houses where I live and the road/track goes to a dead end
there are no houses in front of me nor behind ,,the area I live in is sa6
IMG_20170920_180031884.jpg
IMG_20170920_180229491.jpg
IMG_20170920_180309483.jpg
IMG_20170920_181428809.jpg

Do you take the keys out of the door when you're not there? Just thinking about someone with a hammer smashing the glass on the off chance the keys are still there.

For me the immediate access point looks to be from jumping from the garden onto the flat roof and then trying to gain access to the bedroom window.

As you live down a dead end track security should be good as anyone not known as immediate neighbours should be easy to clock.

What is the ground to the rear of the property ? Public right of way??

I'd consider fitting PIR security lights to the rear of the property.

yes I do that Barbara , but it is a good tip for anyone reading this ,plus I have anti snap locks

yes prime I have though of that my self ,but I do have bars on all the up stairs windows to
the flat roof is next door not mine ,but someone could reach across
IMG_20170920_191353821.jpg

It looks like next door would be an easier target, no garden=no dog, easy access off flat roof.
Have you checked your attic space? Some terraces have a shared roof void.

Nice, looking good then. Making your home look like a hard target may put off the opportunist thieves. They'll look for an easier target.

Excellent post. We have security doors on all three entrances, plus a security door & security screen on the windows on the "safe room". Unfortunately there is a lot of glass, heavy fireproof glass but glass all the same. I don't want to put security screens on all the windows because we like to enjoy the views & watch the wildlife. I do have plans though if it all hit the fan. However there are two houses, & there is usually someone at home in one of the houses.
Keith.

This thread has made me consider our 'home security'.
On a day to day basis, we never lock our doors. Any of them, even if we are both out. In fact, we have never locked the doors since we moved in a few years back. That's just the way of things here.
However, if shtf, I currently don't even know where the keys are.
So, off the back of this thread, I will be finding the keys, and placing them somewhere near the door.

never a good move North, in this day and age never locking the doors-especially if you are both out - is just asking for a burglary, I don't know where you are, but we never go out without locking the doors, we've just had a new door fitted with a more modern lock, the old one had a normal yale lock which you just slammed the door behind you, but you have to physically lock the door after you go out with the new one.
there is always some scroat looking for easy pickings, don't give him the opportunity.
back in the 50s we never locked our doors, but these days?

We live in Shetland, and apart from the 'larger' population centers, no one I know locks their doors.
When we first moved here, we would knock on a door and wait for someone to come open it. After a few weeks of being laughed at, we realised you just walk in and call out. Even at a strangers house.

Oh, and the best place to keep your car keys is in the ignition. So you don't lose them. We used to live in a small city in England, so we are still surprised by attitudes here, even after a few years.

I still think its asking for trouble. I wouldn't give anyone the benefit of the doubt, even in a place like Shetland, I don't know the place, but "better safe than sorry".

even if I lived in the most remotest place I could find, I would still be security conscious and lock all windows and doors, but that's just the type of person I am.
and on a prepping forum I would have thought you had more to lose than the "average" citizen.
I mean we've got one member fitting window bars and your swanning around not even locking the doors? the mind boggles.
I suppose " you make your choices and you take your chances" as the old saying goes.

Back