• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Alcohol stove Advice needed

Is there an option of having a simmer plate on the Tatonka?........I do like that on the Trangia.......but not crucial to have.

Do you think there would be any difference ? I guess if its a different shape or something maybe.... I've not noticed any difference between my proper trangia pot and the cheap ones.

Honestly Bam.....I don't know mate ;)

Reactions: Bam
Do you think there would be any difference ? I guess if its a different shape or something maybe.... I've not noticed any difference between my proper trangia pot and the cheap ones.
I know the Tatonka holds a lot of fuel, but if it leaks like the trangia I have then there will be no difference at all.

Why not just buy another brass Trangia burner with simmer plate for about a tenner.
Because of the leaking issue, first one leaked sent it back, replacement came same problem, returned that, this one leaks too. Things are too cheaply made nowadays. Its holding a flammable substance. It shouldn't leak. If something screws up, and its not my fault, it puts me right off. So I try to find better but I know nothing about alcohol burners so thats why I asked for advice

Because of the leaking issue, first one leaked sent it back, replacement came same problem, returned that, this one leaks too. Things are too cheaply made nowadays. Its holding a flammable substance. It shouldn't leak. If something screws up, and its not my fault, it puts me right off. So I try to find better but I know nothing about alcohol burners so thats why I asked for advice

When you say leaks, do you mean when its in use or when you've put the lid on and carrying it with fuel in it ?? I always empty them back into the fuel pot when I'm not using them. I know they're supposed to be secure but I've not risked it.

When you say leaks, do you mean when its in use or when you've put the lid on and carrying it with fuel in it ?? I always empty them back into the fuel pot when I'm not using them. I know they're supposed to be secure but I've not risked it.
When in use, blooms and then starts leaking from under the rim where the top and bottom are fixed together. And i dont fill more than 2 3rds full. Its not a proper trangia it came with my alpkit brulër. I presumed it was a design flaw and made in the same factory as the trangia. As a result I solder sealed it and now the wick has burnt away and it doesnt bloom properley. Thought stainless steel would be a bit more robust and hard wearing.

When in use, blooms and then starts leaking from under the rim where the top and bottom are fixed together. And i dont fill more than 2 3rds full. Its not a proper trangia it came with my alpkit brulër. I presumed it was a design flaw and made in the same factory as the trangia. As a result I solder sealed it and now the wick has burnt away and it doesnt bloom properley. Thought stainless steel would be a bit more robust and hard wearing.

Don't know what to say mate, I've got a 30 odd year old Trangia one plus 3 or 4 cheap ones from China and not had any issues. Don't know if you've been unlucky, I've been lucky or both.

Cheap knock offs? In all the years I've used Trangia's I've only had a crack develop in the lid on one burner which did not impact on the burner performance and that was after I trod on it :(

I can't help with Tatonka advice, but.

The SVEA burners are also very good. I've got one that was used condition from Military Mart some years ago and it's still good. Might be worth having a look they used to be cheap, cheaper than Trangias, I think I paid £2.99 for mine, it's a good solid reliable burner. Again it's brass and has no simmer ring but might be worth a look.
As Bam said, sounds like you were unlucky with your lookie likey burners. Proper Trangias are a third of the price of the Tatonka. Millets have them at £11.20 atm

Or if you really want everything to match, then Amazon have the Tatonka for £32.46.

Thinking about it though, you could still come across the same problem with a Tatonka as it looks like it's assembled and operates in the same way.

Last edited:
The SVEA burners for the Swedish army cook set are fine, a bit large and take longer to 'bloom' than a Trangia burner. Tatonka pots and pans are first rate, very well made. They make a 'Trangia' cook set, upper and lower shields are aluminium, the pots and burner are SS

Back