• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

morning

Morning all :)

Calm before the storm here this morning......few showers already but very little wind so far.
Got a few admin jobs to get done today.

Have a good one :thumbsup:
Morning William and the rest of you folks, a beautiful bright morning here following heavy overnight rain. more heavy rain forecast for later in the day

Calm and mild here but if the forecast is correct that will change soon enough. Barometer has already started dropping.

Morning folks, Storm Brendan was a bit of a non event (locally) yesterday. Windy for about 3 hours then it just died away. Light rain now, zero wind.

Morning folks, Storm Brendan was a bit of a non event (locally) yesterday. Windy for about 3 hours then it just died away. Light rain now, zero wind.
I think we just caught the edge of it here in Sussex a few gusts to maybe 30 and some very heavy rain for a while but nothing to write home about. Waiting to see what the boys in the south west fared

High winds and torrential rain. Swung round from South to South West. Got soaked twice taking dog out. Calmed down now but still wet and windy with six ships anchored in the bay. Looks like it's not finished yet.

" Looks like it's not finished yet. "

Dead right! Just returned from the ride to hell!! Took the bike for it's first Dealer service and got drenched, heavy rain and spray from other vehicles. The wind has got up too since earlier, blowing hard now.

Afternoon all, it was blowing a hooley up my way last night and eveeything south of my fouly jacket was drenched. We've had worse, it didn't knock the bin over.

Getting another wave of bad weather this afty too, hey ho, it's January so fair game I guess.

Hid in the garage from the weather and made another 100 fire disks. All neatly packed 5 or 6 to a pellet tin. Thought I had a picture of them all laid out but just a pic of the full tins.
View attachment 20105

Attachments

• IMG_20200114_125801.jpg
    IMG_20200114_125801.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 49
Melt some candle wax. Turn off the heat. Add a squirt of lamp oil.(take great care at this point as the fumes generated are flammable). Drop make-up pads into the liquid a few at a time. Using tweezers lift them out and drain excess liquid back into pan. Lay onto aluminium foil to cool. When cool place in tins. .177 pellet tins are an ideal size.
To use, tear almost in half and light the resultant "fluffy" edge with striker or match. Each one usually burns for around 7 minutes. I'll try and do a video next time I make some.
I get large candles and make-up pads from the local £1 shop so they are quite cheap to make. Must chat to the vicar and see if they have any melted wax or old candles to get rid of.

Melt some candle wax. Turn off the heat. Add a squirt of lamp oil.(take great care at this point as the fumes generated are flammable). Drop make-up pads into the liquid a few at a time. Using tweezers lift them out and drain excess liquid back into pan. Lay onto aluminium foil to cool. When cool place in tins. .177 pellet tins are an ideal size.
To use, tear almost in half and light the resultant "fluffy" edge with striker or match. Each one usually burns for around 7 minutes. I'll try and do a video next time I make some.
I get large candles and make-up pads from the local £1 shop so they are quite cheap to make. Must chat to the vicar and see if they have any melted wax or old candles to get rid of.
Thanks mate, I've always used wax without the lamp oil, my biscuits usually come out multi coloured because I use all the remains of the candles we burn at home, I also get about a 7 minute burn from a standard size make up removal pad. I use an old tropical fish food plastic bottle for storage and old 35mil film containers for vaseline soaked cotton wool balls

Reactions: Bam
Thanks mate, I've always used wax without the lamp oil, my biscuits usually come out multi coloured because I use all the remains of the candles we burn at home, I also get about a 7 minute burn from a standard size make up removal pad. I use an old tropical fish food plastic bottle for storage and old 35mil film containers for vaseline soaked cotton wool balls

Me too mate, I've also done similar with vaseline, they're a bit stickier so I put them into small individual bags.

Back