• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wales Spring meet 2024 Chat & Banter

I'm assuming that Dick will be able to bring an archery target with him, and I'll be bring a back-stop sheet to help with arrow loss. Question is: Who is going to be bringing the bow they made? And, have you got some arrows now? Some kind of competition seems in order to me. :)

I will bring my bow. I have made an arrow shaft from hazel, waiting for my friends geese and turkeys to moult their feathers but do not have any arrows. Been ploughing cash into other things at home of late, haven't had the spare money, but will try and get some in time

I will bring my bow. I have made an arrow shaft from hazel, waiting for my friends geese and turkeys to moult their feathers but do not have any arrows. Been ploughing cash into other things at home of late, haven't had the spare money, but will try and get some in time
The feathers you need are primary flight feathers, from the wings. These are shed one at a time throughout the year, not just when they moult, so you should be able to get them all year round. Collect a few because they have to be matched up, left or right wing.

I have no plans to bring my bow, I'm a bowyer, not an archer, and I won't be shooting. However, I will be happy to work with the archers to set up a safe range with all the necessary safety and legal precautions - much like the HFT competition. I'm not a fletcher either, but I know how to make arrows, so if anyone wants to know how to make primative arrows I can help.

I’ll bring my bow 👍🏻 need to get some arrows tho , I’ll by some soon.

Don’t mind helping to set everything up also 👍🏻

@Paul N wouldn’t mind a (how to) on fletcher but I think I’ll wait till the next meeting after this , give you a break from teaching the likes of me 😂

I’ve just been down the lane leading to the house and the ramsons are starting to unfurl their first little leaves, they’re only between two and three inches tall but I could already smell them.

I’ve just been down the lane leading to the house and the ramsons are starting to unfurl their first little leaves, they’re only between two and three inches tall but I could already smell them.
Excellent news, I thought they should be starting to show by now. 👍

I’ll bring my bow 👍🏻 need to get some arrows tho , I’ll by some soon.

Don’t mind helping to set everything up also 👍🏻

@Paul N wouldn’t mind a (how to) on fletcher but I think I’ll wait till the next meeting after this , give you a break from teaching the likes of me 😂
I think Jono wants to have a go at making arrows so if you're up for it it would mean I'm killing two birds with one stone.

I would like to, but that's up to you Paul. You may just want to relax instead of teach. Choice is yours mate
Relaxing is nice, and there will be plenty of time for that, but the last thing I want to do is get bored! Let's do it! And, in exchange, I am very much looking forward to Mark taking me fly fishing - weather and circumstances permitting..

Also looking forward to it Paul. Will have to find out about rod licenses and day permits tho

Also looking forward to it Paul. Will have to find out about rod licenses and day permits tho
We will both need a rod licence, I need one anyway, because I plan to take my grandson fishing this year. As for day permits, Mike can give us some guidance and there is a fishing shop in town, who will be sure to know the ins and outs.

Last edited:
This may be of interest and help to you archers.......having made the effort...... and taken the time to make your own bow......just about everything you need to make your arrows from scratch :thumbsup:
If you cut the shafts from a hedgerow......some of the bits may still come in very handy.......3 arrows will be a good start and make for happy shooting.

Thanks Bill. You may recall that it was you that gave me your fletching jig - many moons ago. I had to modify it to make it work properly but now it works a treat and I will be showing the lads how to use it. Apart from the shafts, which they can cut from the hedgerow, I have most of the other bits and pieces they will need. If they need anything else that page will come in handy.

Happy to hear you still have the fletching jig Paul 👏.......handy bit of kit.......kind of therapeutic to use :thumbsup:
Spent many hours on the ranges with my Queen and the children years ago......we all loved it.......great social side to it as well.

Hope you all have a great time on the targets and reap the rewards of your labour :thumbsup:

Back