• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Summer meet 2018 (pictures and write ups )

PART FOUR: (Better late than never Kneef maybe !) ;)

Matt aka Matt & Gav aka gavin:

Used their vast experience of these sort of meets during the camp set-up process with the parachute etc so that we all could benefit from it. Kept their watchful eyes on me all week & gave me some helpful tips when I needed them. Gav took the time to show me how to light a fire using birch bark & a birds nest which was a success. Both excelled at meal times whilst cooking egg, sausage & bacon or was it bacon, egg & sausage or last but not least sausage, egg & bacon ;) ! Just don't ask me to relay the account of the time when both eggs & bacon hit the forest floor & the 3 second rule was observed :eek:. I paid them both back on the food front with omelettes & cheese toasties as well as copious amounts of tea (We have to keep up our hydration levels they said ! :lol:) But the pair of them blotted their copybooks on several occasions particularly with the self appointed Quartermaster (Kneef). During the first three days I had to dish out the following items due to p**s poor prior planning :rolleyes:;) !

2 x brand new t-shirts (size large), 2 x tea-towels (Pink), half a scouring pad each, 1 x lge gas canister (Full), 1 x long handled lighter, 1 x stainless steel 's' hook for the communal kettle, 1 x long-handled wooden cooking spoon & numerous compostable bin-bags. The aforementioned items were so new to the stores that they haven't even been assigned a NATO stock number so don't ask ! :whistle: ! The stores were so depleted by Wednesday that I had to radio in for an air drop via a Merlin helicopter ! :D

I really enjoyed my time at The Meet & I would like to thank you all for attending & also for the patience & understanding that you demonstrated towards someone who at times still struggles with the basic aspects of " Life In The Wilderness " ! :thumbsup:

Final thoughts go to Matt who arranges these events at a rock bottom price as he doesn't believe in people being ripped off in order to pursue their bushy hobby. He doesn't see himself as the " Leader Of The Pack " & as such I think we all need to remember (Myself included) that The Summer Meets & The Scotland Trips are his holidays too, his chance to get away from it all in order to unwind for a little while. In future I will be trying really hard not to rely too much on the people around me as I view this as the next step on the steep learning curve that I have been on since I started along this tree infested woodland road. :thumbsup:

I can hear Matt now " It's no good Gav, I am going to have to phone the agency yet again to get a replacement skivvy. I was convinced that a years worth of training would make a difference to the Padawan but he is clearly a waste of time & space " (He is not the young Jedi we were looking for) ! :rolleyes:;):)

Kneef Out ! :)

Very good Niel enjoyed the read nice write up......eventually:thumbsup::rolleyes::D

Got to say......... that you had one of the tidiest and well-organised setups at the meet.....so give yourself some credit too mate :thumbsup:
Looking forward to teaming up with you in Scotters ;)

Very good Niel enjoyed the read nice write up......eventually:thumbsup::rolleyes::D

Got to say......... that you had one of the tidiest and well-organised setups at the meet.....so give yourself some credit too mate :thumbsup:
Looking forward to teaming up with you in Scotters ;)

Dose scotters know your bringing a friend bill :whistle::whistle::rofl: he may need to prepare :rofl:

PART FOUR: (Better late than never Kneef maybe !) ;)

Matt aka Matt & Gav aka gavin:

Used their vast experience of these sort of meets during the camp set-up process with the parachute etc so that we all could benefit from it. Kept their watchful eyes on me all week & gave me some helpful tips when I needed them. Gav took the time to show me how to light a fire using birch bark & a birds nest which was a success. Both excelled at meal times whilst cooking egg, sausage & bacon or was it bacon, egg & sausage or last but not least sausage, egg & bacon ;) ! Just don't ask me to relay the account of the time when both eggs & bacon hit the forest floor & the 3 second rule was observed :eek:. I paid them both back on the food front with omelettes & cheese toasties as well as copious amounts of tea (We have to keep up our hydration levels they said ! :lol:) But the pair of them blotted their copybooks on several occasions particularly with the self appointed Quartermaster (Kneef). During the first three days I had to dish out the following items due to p**s poor prior planning :rolleyes:;) !

2 x brand new t-shirts (size large), 2 x tea-towels (Pink), half a scouring pad each, 1 x lge gas canister (Full), 1 x long handled lighter, 1 x stainless steel 's' hook for the communal kettle, 1 x long-handled wooden cooking spoon & numerous compostable bin-bags. The aforementioned items were so new to the stores that they haven't even been assigned a NATO stock number so don't ask ! :whistle: ! The stores were so depleted by Wednesday that I had to radio in for an air drop via a Merlin helicopter ! :D

I really enjoyed my time at The Meet & I would like to thank you all for attending & also for the patience & understanding that you demonstrated towards someone who at times still struggles with the basic aspects of " Life In The Wilderness " ! :thumbsup:

Final thoughts go to Matt who arranges these events at a rock bottom price as he doesn't believe in people being ripped off in order to pursue their bushy hobby. He doesn't see himself as the " Leader Of The Pack " & as such I think we all need to remember (Myself included) that The Summer Meets & The Scotland Trips are his holidays too, his chance to get away from it all in order to unwind for a little while. In future I will be trying really hard not to rely too much on the people around me as I view this as the next step on the steep learning curve that I have been on since I started along this tree infested woodland road. :thumbsup:

I can hear Matt now " It's no good Gav, I am going to have to phone the agency yet again to get a replacement skivvy. I was convinced that a years worth of training would make a difference to the Padawan but he is clearly a waste of time & space " (He is not the young Jedi we were looking for) ! :rolleyes:;):)

Kneef Out ! :)
Great write ups Neil

Not sure if it's the right place to put these but here goes. I injured my heel on the last day of the camp which meant I had to use a walking stick for a few days. So I cut a suitable stick and turned a knob for the top. Also you may remember one of my rifles had a split develop in the stock. Pleased to say I have drilled, dowelled and glued it and it seems ok. Here are some photos.
DSC_0940.JPG DSC_0941.JPG DSC_0943.JPG DSC_0946.JPG DSC_0945.JPG DSC_0942.JPG DSC_0944.JPG

Hi Dick.

Hope the heel is feeling better now?
Made a nice repair there mate.....looks good:thumbsup:
If you get hold of a wax crayon of similar colour you will hide that crack.....heat the crayon.......apply it.....and buff :thumbsup:
You could loose the two bottom dowels with a nice rosewood/mahogany capping too......good job mate:)

Back