• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The saga continues

I have mostly been looking at the Skoda Yeti 1.6 Greenline & the Fiat Panda 4x4 & Trekking models

Some of the Fiat Panda's have very cheap tax which is an eye opener when you are looking at how much our cars cost to run these days

I know they are small but I quite like them & the savings on petrol & tax appeal to me

I have mostly been looking at the Skoda Yeti 1.6 Greenline & the Fiat Panda 4x4 & Trekking models

Some of the Fiat Panda's have very cheap tax which is an eye opener when you are looking at how much our cars cost to run these days

I know they are small but I quite like them & the savings on petrol & tax appeal to me

I owned a 2008 Fiat Panda Cross 1.3 multi jet diesel (4x4) for 12 years and it was one of the most capable, economical reliable, fun to drive, easy to maintain vehicles that I have owned and that’s been quite a few, including most 4x4 brands. It was driven in anger off road frequently and only got stuck if I seriously grounded it out.
It went many places larger 4bys couldn‘t.
In decent winter conditions it was often the only vehicle moving easily around our neck of the woods.
If I could have afforded to have done so when I eventually bought a new(er) motor I would have kept it indefinitely.

I have to fess up:

The proceeds from the Panda went to fund - (struggling to admit it 🥴)….. a Land Rover restoration/upgrade project!

(But a Jeep Renegade 4x4 eventually filled the ‘huge’ gap left by the Panda. And it is really a slightly bigger version of the Panda Cross!). 🤗

I’m waiting for someone to come up with a viable, electric conversion for the Disco! 🤔

Was a conversation with an "old " Defender recently ....
Google suggests even more ......

Was a conversation with an "old " Defender recently ....
Google suggests even more ......

Amazing! Well T’d up Rob.

It shows what can be done.

If they can do it to an old Defender a Disco shouldn’t be a problem.

It will be interesting to see how they perform off road.

I hope they do one with a recording of the V8 running. 😆

Nice to hear that the price should come down. I’d probably still have to remortgage the house though ☹️

It's not so much size as weight, electric tractors are coming along very well because they require/produce very high torque and weight can be an advantage

" It's not so much size as weight,"

I think that has been a major factor in development for decades, Mike.
Back in the mid 1970's I knew a man who was a prominent member of the British Racing Drivers Club. He'd had some success in Rally and pre Formula 1 type racing. He started tinkering with a Sherpa Van (remember those?) and some huge batteries that once powered electric milk floats which were still in use for early morning milk deliveries in those days.

Somehow he fitted an electric motor which I think came from a building site electric hoist, and a stack of Dairy batteries into the Sherpa. It weighed a ridiculous amount and top speed was about 25 mph along a quiet back road...illegally...:D
Cargo space was much reduced because of the double banked batteries in the back, but his ideas for that era were quite advanced really. I drove it a couple of times, the weight in the back made the steering....interesting!!

The major sticking point was the weight and size of the batteries available at that time and he was in contact with various companies about development of his ideas. Unfortunately he managed to drop a 19mm open ended spanner across battery terminals one day and the resulting horrendous chain reaction short circuit within the confined space of the Sherpa seriously injured him and he died a short time later.

Back