• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

UCO Candle conversion project.

That tent is gorgeous, but .............Oh..............that canoe, oh my golly goshness........... 🤪

On a couple of his vids, he's paddling the stour overnight...that's my local stream. When he did it, levels were quite high...........

@divebuddy

Lorraine and I had to nip in town yesterday for some supplies and banking.

I stayed outside while she went in.......just a few doors away there were some guys loading rubbish onto the back of a tipper truck.
They were ripping out a couple of flats for a refurbishment.
Could hear a nail gun in use......so asked one of the guys if he had any empty canisters going to waste.
Yes he says......should be a few in there somewhere.....I will have a look.
Came back out with 3......but they were the larger fist fix versions......only ones they had.

BUGGER :rofl: :rolleyes:

The first bits needed for the conversion have arrived.
The Brass rod and the chain crank bolts.
Waiting on the canisters and liquid metal now.
Also the wicks.

BUT it's a start :thumbsup:

IMG_20200428_124830.jpg

IMG_20200428_124919.jpg

IMG_20200428_125011.jpg

Jobs a good'un :thumbsup:

The problem is getting hold of the Canisters Matt......had to buy 2 new ones off of the evil bay @ £12.50
If I can source some empty ones I will knock you one up with pleasure my dear :)
I can get plenty of the First fix ones ( large to big ).....but the second fix ones are rarer than Rocking Horse :poo:.....:rofl:

The problem is getting hold of the Canisters Matt......had to buy 2 new ones off of the evil bay @ £12.50
If I can source some empty ones I will knock you one up with pleasure my dear :)
I can get plenty of the First fix ones ( large to big ).....but the second fix ones are rarer than Rocking Horse :poo:.....:rofl:

dont mind covering the cost what ever that may be mate :) and also a drink in it for you :thumbsup:

It turned out that the cells I ordered were different to the ones used in the video. :(

There was not enough meat around the neck of the valve to drill the 10mmm hole to accept the female half of the crank nut.
So.....after drilling...... had to open the neck gently with the smooth end of a drill bit and then press in the nut in using "Number 1 Sons" vice.
It's all held together with conic friction at the moment.
When the Liquid steel turns up I will glue and fashion it all together properly.

So.....to avoid the same problems I had.....try and order..... or source...... the correct cells as used in the video.:thumbsup:

The wick I have used is years old and from an old cheap Zippo lighter.....the new wicks when they arrive will hopefully be better.

As far as drilling out the valve where the crank bolt fits in.....a pillar drill would be a huge benefit......to control and accuracy.

Happy how turned out though.

I am using an old vape fluid bottle to store the fuel and fill the cell.......works well.......and no fuss.

It was a right faff not having the correct tools.......... so I don't think I will be volunteering to make any more.....sorry chaps :(

Further update when the rest of the bits turn up :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have a friend in the trade. Pas lode is the make you want. Give me a couple of days to make contact. He's working on her majesty's gaff at the moment. If he can bring back prince Edwards gun cabinet and store it in my shed (yes I genuinely have his majesty's gun cabinet in my shed!) then I am sure he can get you a lorry load of the first fix gas bottles.

I have a friend in the trade. Pas lode is the make you want. Give me a couple of days to make contact. He's working on her majesty's gaff at the moment. If he can bring back prince Edwards gun cabinet and store it in my shed (yes I genuinely have his majesty's gun cabinet in my shed!) then I am sure he can get you a lorry load of the first fix gas bottles.

Need the 2nd fix cells Jon.....the 1st fix are too big mate.

Back