• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wood carving tools.

Go for it Bill. Don't forget to season/dry the wood first. Pic attached of my latest failure. Got some "Burberris" from a bush I cut down at Greenway house when gardening there. Lovely bright yellow wood when fresh cut. I know you need to dry it slowly but I couldn't help having a quick go at turning a handle. It split within a day and lost it's colour
DSC_0003.JPG
!

Go for it Bill. Don't forget to season/dry the wood first. Pic attached of my latest failure. Got some "Burberris" from a bush I cut down at Greenway house when gardening there. Lovely bright yellow wood when fresh cut. I know you need to dry it slowly but I couldn't help having a quick go at turning a handle. It split within a day and lost it's colourView attachment 9203 !
there is a secret cure Dick, mix some epoxy with fine sawdust from the same wood and force it into the crack and sand down when its dry

Thanks Joe good idea but there is a similar crack starting the other side so it will fall into two if I drill it for the cord.

Thanks Joe good idea but there is a similar crack starting the other side so it will fall into two if I drill it for the cord.
I guess there's a chance of that happening Dick, It's a method I use when making stick handles but they are probably more substantial pieces of wood

@divebuddy ........Thats a nice bit of turning Dick :thumbsup:.........shame it split like that mate.

At the moment I am not too fussed about seasoned wood to be honest.....as I will be learning to carve so most of it will end up on the fire anyway......I will be a kindling machine:rofl:

I will get a few bits cut and drying though.....for later on:thumbsup:

@divebuddy ........Thats a nice bit of turning Dick :thumbsup:.........shame it split like that mate.

At the moment I am not too fussed about seasoned wood to be honest.....as I will be learning to carve so most of it will end up on the fire anyway......I will be a kindling machine:rofl:

I will get a few bits cut and drying though.....for later on:thumbsup:
I'll bring you down a nicely seasoned apple wood log in August Bill then you can cut away to your hearts content

it would only go on the fire Bill, better to let you plsy with it first

When your up the woods looking for sticks bill fined some saplings and twist them around each other and bind them so the grow with the twist.......for future projects:thumbsup:

@mark wilson

Now theres a thought Mark......I will give that a go mate:thumbsup:

Other things took priority yesterday....so I did not get to the woods......be up there today though....pictures to follow:thumbsup:

Have a look at the silver birches bill, they shoukd be ready soon.

Well.....the trip to the woods didnt go as planned.
Got to the wood opened the padlock and gate..... and drove in.....went back to shut the gate and snapped the end off of the key in the padlock:rolleyes::rofl:
Luckily I have a multi tool in the car glove box so was able to turn the shaft of the key with that to get back out again.:rofl:
Did not spend long there but managed to get few sticks to play with.

Came back home to get two more keys cut:thumbsup:.......was also going to top up the feeders....they will have to wait now.

DSC02723.JPG

RIGHT.....wheres my carving and whitling kit :thumbsup::rofl:

I like the one that laid diagonally across the others mate

Yes Joe...me too.....got one or two ideas for tha one:thumbsup::D
Will gather some more soon.....and some thicker stuff too.

Yes Joe...me too.....got one or two ideas for tha one:thumbsup::D
Will gather some more soon.....and some thicker stuff too.
there's plenty out there mate and with the sap rising they're easier to carve,I rough carve my sticks around springtime then finish them off once they're fully dry

Certainly is Joe.......I kind of run out of time today....just grabbed a few to get going on:thumbsup:
Will definitely cut some more interesting looking one's.......also store some to dry out.

How thick is that Cherry wood you have Joe??.......have you got anything about 3 to 4 inches thick?.....(The Cherry Wood I mean :rolleyes:):D

Certainly is Joe.......I kind of run out of time today....just grabbed a few to get going on:thumbsup:
Will definitely cut some more interesting looking one's.......also store some to dry out.

How thick is that Cherry wood you have Joe??.......have you got anything about 3 to 4 inches thick?.....(The Cherry Wood I mean :rolleyes:):D
Apple wood and the answer is yes also logs 5 to 6 inches in diameter

Not sure if this is the thread where Bill mentioned the anti-cut gloves. I thought about it and purchased a pair that arrived this morning. At first use they appear to work well so hopefully I can get some carving done with minimum cuts!
Pictures attached show the gloves and the box they came in. Strange the box mentions leather. I wonder if they are for use when doing leatherwork?

DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG

Back